Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fabric Covering

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fabric Covering

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Balsacutter
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabric Covering

I don't want to cover my Cub with shiny Monokote, I want to use something with a fabric texture.

What's people's favorite non-glossy covering? Dacron-and-paint or iron-on?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Fabric Covering

Century 21 Fabric sprayed with flat clear.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:58 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Century-21 is my choice too. Used it on several planes and liked it every time, but never had to dull it on my Cubs or Staggerwing since the finish matched the plane I was modeling.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use SolarTex. It is substantially lighter in weight than Century 21 Coverite, does not require balsarite to stick and does wingtips and other tight curves easier than Coverite.

I would suggest giving the SolarTex a clear coat to make cleaning easier. The weave is more open with SolarTex than with Coverite.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Dr1Driver

SOLARTEX!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely Solartex. I've used 21st Century fabric, it looks very good, I like the glossy finish (especially for a Cub). I found it temperamental, very temperature sensitive, and compound curves (like Cub wingtips) were frustrating. The biggest downside, IMO, is the weight. I re-covered an ARF with it and it came out tail heavy (and the covering was the only difference) and I had to add two ounces to the nose to balance it.

Solartex, on the other hand, is lighter, does compound curves very well. I found that if you set your iron in between the recommended settings for sticking it and shrinking it, it will do both just fine, just don't leave the iron in one place too long.

I have painted over both coverings, I used Top Flite LusterCote on the 21st Century fabric and it works great (and will be fuel proof). The Solartex I painted with water-based latex interior house paint, let it dry completely (about two days) and clearcoated it with flat clear LusteCote. It smoothed the "dry" feeling of the latex, was completely compatible, and again, is fuelproof when done. I'm re-covering a GP DR-1 right now, using white and natural Solartex, and painting it.

Of course, there's always Koverall and dope, which is my all-time favorite. I'll still use it when I want the ultimate cover job for a nice scale plane. But the Solartex is a close second.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Dr1Driver

I'll echo everything you said, khodges. Solartex rules! I used Coverite once - never will again.

Dr.1
Old 11-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Flying Hog

Solartex....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84425.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	362163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89682.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	362164  
Old 11-29-2005, 09:13 PM
redfox435cat

I've alwayed used coverite for faberic. goes on just like monokote. temps a little cooler. I've never had to sparyed to fuel proof it. it is fuel proof.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:10 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Best is Oratex from Germany, (same manufacturer as Oracover, Ultracote to you Americans) next best is Solartex from Britain.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 11-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO any of the tex's are better than Coverite; Solartex, Colortex, Worldtex, etc. as all are about the same, just different colors available and apply easier and go around compound curves better.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:28 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Flying Hog

Solartex....
VERY Nice Super-D, Hog; what's under the hood? Is that a Dynaflite?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Flying Hog

Khodges......Thanks. It's a G62 turning now, a 22-10 Zinger pro. It's a Scratch built from Wendell Hostetler plans. It's 115 inches wing tip to wing tip and 29 pounds. I love it.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:29 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Flying Hog

G62 turning now, a 22-10 Zinger pro. It's 115 inches wing tip to wing tip and 29 pounds.
How much do you charge for rides? That's quite a plane. I'll bet the aerobatics are awesome. I like the Super D, had the Dynaflite kit, but traded it before I built it. Going to start a Cessna L-19 one of these days, got the whole thing, ZDZ-50 and probably the same prop you have, just can't seem to get all the little stuff done and out of the way first.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Flying Hog

I started off with the Goldberg ARF Decathlon and wanted to go bigger, but I wanted to see something other than an Edge, Extra, Yakat the field. I loved the way the Goldberg flew and I hoped that the Whendell flew just as well. It performs even better. Here's a sample of it flying....This is the 3rd flight with it. http://media.putfile.com/s-SD-2 Enjoy It also tows banners
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14337.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	362779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53460.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	362780  
Old 12-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Chip_Mull

The title of this thread is Fabric Covering. If that is the look you're going for, try http://www.stits.com we can give you a hand. It's also a whole lot easier to apply the finishing tapes and details on a true fabric covering. This is a polyester fabric system with polyester vinyl paints that all chemically bond. Total system is about 5 coats and very light. It shrinks about 12% at 350 degrees and never needs ironing again. Use a calibrated iron NOT A HEAT GUN. After shrinking, apply a coat of Poly Brush to fill the weave, then the paint. For a more realistic appearance we recommend a coat of Silver after the Poly Brush but this is optional.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Flying Hog

Not going to get into an arguement with you Chipmull. I was just answering khodges question. This was the first time I used Solartex and I found it easy to use. One of the Old timers at our club turned me on to it. He used Stits, and did not like it as much as the Solartex.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:25 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: chipmull

The title of this thread is Fabric Covering.

Wasn't trying to get off subject, just had to comment on 'Hogs nice plane. I can only speak on what I've had experience with, that being MonoKote (hate it and all plastic covering), 21st Century fabric, Solartex, and Koverall (which is my favorite of all these). I've thought about trying Stits on my Sopwith Pup; I've been to the Stits website and read about it, and have seen a couple of planes done with the process. Seems to be very similar in method to Koverall, I like the idea of paints that chemically bond to the material (as opposed to a mechanical bond).

Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Chip_Mull

Dear Khodges and flying hog:

Not a problem. That's the problem with this internet stuff, you can't interpret the way the advice was only what was said. My tone wasn't meant to be argumentive, please excuse me if it was. Anybody standing next to a beautiful aerobatic ship like that one cetainly knows his way around an airplane.

That's what makes horse races. Some like plastic and some like paint. I didn't mean for it to come off as being argumentative or aloof. I rarely scan these forums but last night was a sleepless one and I decided to give the forums a try for a while.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Flying Hog

Chipmull,,, Misunderstanding cleared up... Thanks