Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Exhaust Mainifold for Saito .65

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Exhaust Mainifold for Saito .65

Old 12-17-2005, 05:57 PM
boxbeam
My Feedback: (188)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Mainifold for Saito .65

Does anyone know if a 90 degree exhaust pipe is made that would fit a saito .65? I need a completely enclosed exhaust system, and a 90 degree will do the trick. The Flexpipe by Saito won't give enount bend to conceal it within the cowl. Any info on where to find one would be better than getting a truck load of airplanes and two trailers each of engines and new radio equipment for Christmas. Well, not really, but sure would beat the hell outa getting coal in my stocking!! Thanks.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Old 12-17-2005, 09:07 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Mainifold for Saito .65

I'll bet that Wm Robison in the glow engines forum could tell you the part #, but there is a fitting that comes with the new inline twins that I believe is the same thread diameter as the .65 (10 mm) and it might help give you the clearance you need, or......... The older .65's came with a 90 degree elbow and machined muffler instead of the newer cast one, but it is not truly 90 degrees. I have a couple of them, and I heated them with a torch and bent them until I had the angle I wanted. To preserve the threads, I found a couple of standard nuts in 10mm thread and screwed them on the elbow, and clamped it in a viseon one of the nuts. I clamped the other nut with large vise-grips, and heated the bend with a mapp gas torch until it was cherry red, putting pressure on the elbow with the vise grips. As the elbow gets hot enough, it will start to bend, but you have to be careful because it will start to kink and close also. When it does that, I take it out of the vise and hammer the elbow to round it back out, then reheat and bend it again until it's the angle I want, repeating the hammering to round it out again. You can bend it to about 100 degrees (angle from straight) this way. After you have it where you want, heat it one more time and quench it in cold water to reset the temper.

Both my pipes have been this way for a couple of years, no problems. Make sure the threads get a good coat of light oil, and run the larger nuts on and off them several times (or use a thread die) to ensure the threads aren't damaged, otherwise they will eat the aluminum threads in the cylinder head up when you screw it in the engine.

Note the change in angle of these mufflers from "stock"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64670.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	371821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46702.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	371822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97005.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	371823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45283.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	371824  
Old 12-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you check the back section of MAN and Fly RC, periodically there is an ad for a "swivel joint" manifold for 4 stroke engines. You may want to find the ad and check it out before modifying your manifold.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:38 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here it is from Horizon...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=SAI65140

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 12-18-2005, 10:59 AM
khodges

Yeah, that's the piece I was talking about that comes on the inline twins. Looks good, and looks like it will allow a tighter fit within a cowl.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:56 PM
boxbeam

Ken, I just had my step son take a regular exhaust manifold pipe, cut a wedge in it, and TIG it back together after completing a 90 alteration to it. I thought about the bending part but didn't know quite how to go about bending it without kinking it, now if I need to bend anything and need to ask questions, "you da man"!
Jim, ho ho ho, thanks for the super Christmas present you turned me on to. That will work out perfect, absolutely perfect. How did you happen to run into this coupler? Have the same problems with in cowl exhaust also at one time? Not anymore, its almost like you want to buy a dozen of them just in case they they decide to drop the design.
Any way, thanks to the both of you and Ken, this is being used in the Sig 1/5 Cub that you and I discussed here on the forum about 6 - 8 months ago when I first started to build it. It is done now except for the exhaust, which really now is done when the part arrives. I took MANY bits of advice from your input on building it, and made several changes of my own that without any pilot error, should give it many more years of standing up to the natural abuse like the R/Cer that I am, at the field once or twice a month will give to it.
Happy holidays to all, and when I get the cowl bolted on, and the prop tightened down, I'll throw a photo of it out there so you fellas can see something you contributed to that I have always wanted to have owned as a modeler!

Thanks again,

Ron Secor
Old 12-18-2005, 08:13 PM
flipstart

I also need one of these 90 degree adapters for my Saito 91-someone mentioned in previous post of .65 (10mm), I thought the exhaust on 65---91 was 12mm. Which adapter would fit a 91?? Sure glad Saito finally started making some 90 degree fittings.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:36 PM
boxbeam

Flip, one of the guys at Horizon's tech support told me it was a 12mm, my step son also said that it was a 12mm. So I am told....
Old 12-18-2005, 10:05 PM
flipstart

Thanks for the reply-think I will order one up.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:07 PM
khodges

My mistake[sm=drowning.gif] it IS 12mm on the .65 From .56 down it's 10mm. My bad.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:16 PM
boxbeam

Oh alrighty then, somebody throw that guy falailing in the water a line. Any of you guys see that movie "Open Water"? Great ending, you'll never forget it!! Oh, I ordered two of those couplers for the exhaust today from Horizon, glad Jim found the link to that part. Happy holidays!