Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sport v. Scale v. Aerobatics Propeller Choice

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sport v. Scale v. Aerobatics Propeller Choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:48 AM
pocatosaras

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport v. Scale v. Aerobatics Propeller Choice

I'm building a new 40ARF and putting a Saito FA82a on it. I'm not ready to fly yet but I'm already thinking about propellers, break-in and other assorted details.

The Saito FA82a manual recommends a series of propellers categorized by Sport, Scale, or Aerobatics.

Can someone give me a lesson on the terminology so I know what category I should be looking at?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:09 AM
the_madgenius

Default RE: Sport v. Scale v. Aerobatics Propeller Choice

pocatosaras, you mention that you are building a 40 arf, so for that model i would recommend you use the prop that is mentioned for sports flying, as i assume that is the style of flying you will be doing. Scale models is replicas of reld size aircraft , and sometimes require 3 bladed props to look the same as their big sister, aerobatic props are usually finer in pitch, and are generally harder on the motor , so you dont want to go that way , so again, select a sports prop
the_madgenius , instructor down under
Old 12-21-2005, 07:29 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pocatosaras

I'm building a new 40ARF and putting a Saito FA82a on it. I'm not ready to fly yet but I'm already thinking about propellers, break-in and other assorted details.

The Saito FA82a manual recommends a series of propellers categorized by Sport, Scale, or Aerobatics.

Can someone give me a lesson on the terminology so I know what category I should be looking at?
What might be a good idea also is to let us know what plane we are talking about here and the way you intend to fly it. Once we have that we may be able to tell you what might just be the "perfect" prop for it and your style of flying.

Then once we have that it's easy to explain the choice
Old 12-21-2005, 12:13 PM
pocatosaras

Thanks guys.

It's a CMPro Staudacher S-300D pictured below. I'm beyond the basic flying around, inverted stuff and want to learn aerobatic flying for fun. I have probably overpowered this a bit with the Saito FA82a but it'll fit nicely under the cowl and I've really never flown an "overpowered" plane before so I think I may be suprised by its characteristics. I want to really be able to throw this around and learn aero manuevers.

Do you need anything else?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81324.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	373678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71661.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	373679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90772.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	373680  
Old 12-21-2005, 01:19 PM
PE2fan
My Feedback: (8)

I am using a 13x8 on my Phoenix Sukhoi with this engine and I used a 15x4 on my UCD for 3d flying. I would probably go up to a 14 on the Suk if I had the ground clearance.