Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Does CA Glue really have an Expiration Date?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Does CA Glue really have an Expiration Date?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:05 PM
SaCCaL72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does CA Glue really have an Expiration Date?

I know there is a date on the back of CA glues, but does it really mean anything? Can the glue be used effectively even after the expiration date? Is the same for epoxy glue? Thanks...
Old 01-03-2006, 11:05 PM
huggins

Default RE: Does CA Glue really have an Expiration Date?

I pay no attention to expiration dates on CA. If it flows and cures, it should be okay. I have had it set up in the bottle before and have had a bottle of thin that just would not cure, even with kicker. It was like water. I had never heard of or seen that before. Same goes for epoxy too. The only problem that I have had with epoxy is the resin part getting a little thick and grainy looking....like honey gets sometimes. I zapped it with the heat gun for a little while and it worked fine.

Mike
Old 01-04-2006, 03:00 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was at a seminar on CA at the WRAM show a few years back. Here's some of what the guy told us (he works in the CA industry)

The first is that today's containers are thinner than yesteryear's 'bottles'. They permit water molecules to migrate through, over a long period of time, and ruin the CA, or make it harder and longer to set. Years ago, when they used thicker bottles, that was not a problem.

He also noted that putting them in the freezer did nothing to extend their life... just keep them out of direct sunlight.

I've noticed a difference when, say, finishing up an 'old' bottle of thin CA (takes longer to set) and opening a bottle of new CA (sets right away).

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a few bottles thicken up over the summer when I couldn't build. Usually if you leave them sit too long they will do that. Guess I will have to repace them eventually and start building something. Its ok as long as it flows.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:44 PM
N1EDM

Flyboy, I've seen that happen too. I'm wondering if those tubes were capped. If they weren't, then water vapor could get in through the top (slowly, over time - say, a full summer) and cause it to thicken up.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 01-05-2006, 11:04 PM
JCOKEEFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]I buy my CA from Balsa USA. Their CA name brand is Balsa USA Gold.
When you order CA from them, it will be accompanied by a slip of paper
which states that the CA should be stored in a refrigerator (not a freezer)
when it will not be needed for a long period of time. I have done this many
times and the CA always works well after being in the refrigerator for 6 months
to a year.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:45 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

CA probably has the shortest shelf life of any glue we use in this hobby. I've had NIB unopened bottles go solid in less than a year. Heat and humidity are the primary killers. Keep the glue cool and dry and well sealed for maximum shelf life. Most I've tried seem to kick-off good up to 6 months to a year. So, I only buy what I will use in the next 6 months or so.

As for epoxy, technically it has a shelf life. Most vendors will list 1 year, but in general it can be used longer. I have some 3 year old laminating epoxy that as best I can tell works as well as the day I bought it, and I store it in my garage, which is probably the worse place I can pick as far as environment (temp, humidity, etc.) What generally happens with epoxy is the resin will crystallize, or get foggy. If you put the bottles in a warm water bath, the resin will generally clear back up. I suppose it might be a bit weaker, but haven't seen any difference. If in doubt, mix a test batch and see if it cures as expected. Same test for CA, etc.

Cheers
Old 01-06-2006, 08:47 PM
N1EDM

Another rule of thumb for preserving CA is to keep it out of direct sunlight. I always keep mine in a coffee can with other glues (so it won't tip over) away from the windows.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:01 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone, I believe the rep for PK, told me not to store the kicker anywhere near the CA as well. I used to keep all my CA and kicker in the same box. Since I have seperated them, the CA seems to last a little longer.