Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what fuel for four strokes

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what fuel for four strokes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 05:22 PM
PFG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what fuel for four strokes

can anyone tell me if you can run a super custom four stroke on just cool power 15% nitro or do you need castor
Old 01-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: what fuel for four strokes

You are going to get more opinions here than you will want but here is the first one based on fifteen years of operating OS and Saito fourstrokes. The most consistent results for me have been using the Morgan Omega 10&15% nitro fuels that have somewhere between 10&20% castor blended with their synthetic oil. I had one twin cylinder blow a jug off of the crankcase at 95 hours of run time during which it had consumed 83 gallons of fuel. The blown off jug and piston showed so little wear that the OS service center did a courtesy replacement based on the metal fatigue problem.
I have 20 plus fourstrokes all operating on Morgan fuel and I have never lost a bearing or suffered internal corrosion damage.
I do live in the Southwest and I do store the airplanes in a climate controlled enviornment. As such I cannot address any othe combination of factors. As for your part of the world If Morgan is not available or price competetive then find a fuel that is a synthetic and castor blend and try it. If it is a quality fuel your results should be as good as mine have been.
ORIGINAL: PFG

can anyone tell me if you can run a super custom four stroke on just cool power 15% nitro or do you need castor
Old 01-19-2006, 06:04 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

I agree absolutely as I have lost an engine using Cool Power during an inadvertent lean run. Dissasembly also revealed bearings starting to rust even though the engine had been run dry and after run oil had been used after every flying session. Since adding 3-4 ounces of Sig Castor to each new gallon of fuel the problem is no more. I'm using 15% Wildcat Super Premium now which is a synthetic castor blend like Omega. In my YS Engines however I use Powermaster YS/Saito 20/20 and add the Sig castor. You can't go wrong with a synthetic castor blend, or add the extra castor to your Cool Power it is good protection and won't hurt a thing.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I use Powermaster 20/20 in everything......well....except for my DA-50 that is
Old 01-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PFG

Any two stroke fuel will do.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:05 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is a "super custom" four stroke?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:54 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Magnum, ASP, and Super Custom are all made by the Sanye Company in China. The engines usually look alike size for size.

The Super Custom line is usually marketed by Perkins and the engines are usually seen in countries with a strong UK relationship.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM
PFG

Thanks for your replies. i have just come off the phone to paul from just engines in the uk, and he said that ASP Four Strokes run fine on 5 to 10% nitro but for 15% you need to change the compression ratio and this just needs the head shimming, so i ordered ASP 70 FS £IIO + £10 TO SHIM warranty not affected great prices and will ship to usa link is www.justengines.co.uk
Old 01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Paul Landels is a great guy to deal with.

I run my ASP four strokes that I puchased from him with 15% fuel and have done this for several years. I've never had any trouble. No backfires or anything.

Enjoy,

Jim