Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sullivan Dynatron starter cone removal?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sullivan Dynatron starter cone removal?

Old 01-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sullivan Dynatron starter cone removal?

Here is a question for someone who has done this before and can tell me how you remove the aluminum cone off of the Dynatron starter. There is a small nut on the inside of cone which I took off but the cone still does not come off. does the cone just slide off or is it threaded and screw off? I tried to slide it off with a puller and it does not move one in. and I hate to put too much pressure on it and damage it. any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:28 PM
The PIPE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sullivan Dynatron starter cone removal?

Dear Waco:

The PIPE Here once more...and if the aluminum starter cup on your Dynatron is anything like the PLASTIC starter cup on my "base level" Sullivan starter...it's been mine since 1976, and STILL works great...it's very likely screw-threaded, and SHOULD be "unscrewable" in some manner.

The plastic starter cup has a metal nut molded into it...that's how IT threads onto the starter shaft...and since I'm about to get into BIG four stroke engines later this year (already have an RCV 120 SP...a Saito 150, for a Giant Scale Dave Platt Jungmeister planset I've got, will be the next one, for Xmas 2006) I'll be "creating my own" Dynatron starter during this year (with a parts list from Sullivan I made up a few years ago to order the parts with) to prepare for turning those over on my test stand.

One CRITICAL piece of that starter buildup of mine is going to be using a plastic starter cone, Sullivan part number S98251 ...it's around $5.00 for the part, directly from Sullivan..as over many years of watching the Giant Scalers starting their engines with Dynatrons, and watching that "SMOOTHLY-insided" aluminum starter cone spin uselessly around the rubber insert, when trying to start their big "mills", I've figured that using the plastic cone instead...with its THREE SPLINES inside of the cone, providing a "positive drive" method into the rubber insert's outer circumference trio of slots, is going to be a "must-do" for my needs!

Just wondering...why ARE you desirous of removing the aluminum starter cone on your Dynatron in the first place...might you planning to use it in one of the Miller RC "Persuader" starting setups? "Just curious", that's all...

...but I WOULD think that it should be threaded...ask around for more opinions first, before trying to unscrew it, if I'm wrong about that!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-21-2006, 02:21 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the nut, then get a good hot 12V battery, or 24V is better. Grip the starter cone and bump the starter. It should screw right of. It is standard, not reverse threads. If that does not work, grip the shaft with a pair of needlenose visegrips and twist the cup off.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

well I finally got it off, It is threaded and it also had thread locker on it and I had to heat the cone to screw it off after puting a pair pliers on the shaft. I am using it on the miller persuader and this had to come off too install the persuader. thanks to all.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Dmajor_99
My Feedback: (5)

Waco I saw that you had the same problem that I am now haveing with removing the alluminum cone. The only difference with me is that I cant even get the nut off of the screw. I really wish that you can tell me what you did to remove yours. Oh yeah im trying to replace it with cone that miller r/c makes.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:43 AM
jakmac
My Feedback: (1)

I have a saito 150 four stroke and my hobico 180 wont turn it what will?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:57 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jakmac what kind of starter are you using and most important what voltage are you running it at?

If you are running even some cheap starters over to 18 and in some cases 24 volt batterys such as the fifteen dollor Harbor Freight 18 volt drillmaster battery or even the fifty dollar Black and decker 18 volt, I even use the 24 volt black and Decker drill battery.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38894.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1822575  
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jakmac

I have a saito 150 four stroke and my hobico 180 wont turn it what will?
Increase the voltage!

I can turn over 50cc engines with the Hobbico 180 @ 18v with ease.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:33 PM
SA Flyer
My Feedback: (3)

Default How to remove a Sullivan Dynatron Aluminum Spinner Cone

It's a 13 year old thread. Glad it was still hanging around.

And the poster's recommendation below worked for me in 2019.

With a leather gardening glove on one hand, I blipped the switch with the other hand, and the aluminum cone came off in a split second without any effort. Did not need to use any other tool. No wrist sprains either.
Thanks people.

Originally Posted by TLH101
Remove the nut, then get a good hot 12V battery, or 24V is better. Grip the starter cone and bump the starter. It should screw right of. It is standard, not reverse threads. If that does not work, grip the shaft with a pair of needlenose visegrips and twist the cup off.

Last edited by SA Flyer; 09-21-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:31 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea! I used a pipe wrench!