Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What engine for a Vmar cap 232 60-90 size??? Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What engine for a Vmar cap 232 60-90 size??? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Junior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine for a Vmar cap 232 60-90 size??? Help!

I have purchased a Vmar cap232 arf. It is my first Vmar plane and I hope when it gets here I'm not as dissapointed as some, though others seem pleased.
I want the plane to have ample power without spending more than I have to. I was considering a couple of options, 1) Super Tigre 90 2-stroke, for the money this seems like a real powerhouse. 2) the other consideration is a 4-stroke such as a magnum 91 or thunder tiger 91. I chose these because I would like to keep it in the $200 range.
Will I give up alot of useable power going from the 90 2-stroke to a 91 4-stroke?
Anyone have experience with either engine that was bad?
Any Vmar advise would be appreciated!
Keith
Old 01-12-2003, 01:27 AM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

The firewall isn't the best setup in the world. However, on the recommended low rate settings supplied in the manual, the plane flies easier than a trainer!! On takeoff, just point the nose and give it full throttle. It will stay on course until you give it up elevator. On full rates, the Cap will almost do knifedge circles with an O.S. .91 4-Stroke! This plane is awesome.
Extra_230
Old 01-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Junior

Thanks for the feedback ! I purchased a saito .91 for it. Upon inspecting the plane's fuse, ( I've heard a lot about the firewall and other joints failing ) I decided to go over most of the joints I could reach with a little epoxy. I feel that the fuse should hold up ok, and just hope that the wing and stabs are sound under the covering. I am going with a 16 oz. tank in the stock location.
When you finished yours, was it right near the reccomended cg ? Did you use other than standard servos anywhere?
Thanks,
Keith
Old 01-12-2003, 02:47 PM
flytheedge

Junior, this is extremely IMPORTANT!! The Cap's horizonal stabilizer is extremely flimsy! When I was building mine, the fuselage kept rolling over to its side, even with the wings attached. The stabilizer would crack and then I'd have to go back in there and fix it. Here's what I did:

Before you even attempt flying the airplane, use some pushrods that go from the top of the rudder and down to the the farthest corner of the stabilizer. On one end, use a celivis with a threaded pushrod. On the other end, sauder some alumunium or some thin and light steel. Drill a hole through the metal and the stabilizer. Then use some small screws and lock nuts. I made a "square." Where you have the pushrods running from the bottom of the fuselage to each elevator, and from the top of the stabilizer to the top of the rudder. This makes it extremely strong and you won't be sorry. But I will gurantee you that if you don't do this, you WILL crash the plane!

Also, on the firewall when you've put your battery as far as you can under the fuel tank, I would use epoxy to keep the bolts tightened. On mine, I took that whole setup apart and used blind nuts. I haven't flown it like this yet, but I'm sure it will fly AWESOME!!

Also on the backside of the firewall, they made 2 dowls for the tank to be rubberbanded to. I would replace the rubber bands, becuase they're very weak!!! Then I would use thin C.A. at base of the dowls where they meet the firewall. This will make them a little stronger.

If you have any other questions, just send me a PM or an email to:

[email protected]
Clint
Old 01-12-2003, 02:56 PM
flytheedge

Junior, with my 4.8volt 1200maH battery as far foward in the nose as I could get it under the fuel tank and the receiver in the "balsa box." I had to add quite a bit of lead to the nose! Just make sure to C.G. it with the cowl attached. It makes a whole lot of difference!!!

Also, I have an Airtronics RD6000 Super so I used Cirrus High Speed servos (CS-71BBMG) on everything except the throttle. I just used an Airtronics std. servo. I am also running twin aileron servos. If you have any other questions or need some advice, PLEASE ASK!!
Clint
Old 01-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Junior

Clint,
Thanks for the awesome feedback. I haven't started assembly yet, (I'm in the middle of building a seamaster 40 kit) But I will remember your advise. When I start assembling (most likely april or may) , I will get in touch with you with any questions. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Keith