Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Copper tubing (fuel lines)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Copper tubing (fuel lines)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
dragos_cscc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copper tubing (fuel lines)

I got a few spots where I’m afraid that flex tubing will get chaffed and I want to use copper tubing glued (epoxy) to the fuselage side. I’m worried about cracks in the tubing over time due to vibration. Anybody have any input? Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks

D
Old 01-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Newc

Default RE: Copper tubing (fuel lines)

Not exactly sure what the application is, or what your 'flex tubing' is, but I have successfully glued the outer tube for pushrods (Gold 'n Rod) to the side of a fuse and also have braced these with a balsa piece witha hole drilled through it and then glued the balsa to a former or fuse side for enhanced stability and resistance to bending under load. Why would you want to replace a flexible tube with a rigid one?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:16 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Aluminum tubing is the one that splits from vibration easy.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Copper tubing is gawd awful heavy!

If you use aluminum tubing, get the kind that is annealed and bends easily. Then put a loop in the tubing so it has some 'give' and you should be okay about cracking.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:17 PM
dragos_cscc

Well I just need a 2 or 3 inch run 1/8"ID to go back from the front of the tank to a fill plug and I was worried if it cracked it would make a mess, be kinda hard to get to to fix also.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:33 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Silicone fuel tubing is more prone to cuts than chafing, but if you wanted to use a metal tubing, then I would recommend brass. If you glue it directly to the firewall, use some 80-100 grit sandpaper to roughen up the tubing surface and use epoxy to glue it, or use the plastic landing gear straps with the "U" in the middle. The only thing I can think of that might make it less than a good idea would be the possibility of airframe vibration causing the fuel to foam as it passes through that portion of the line.

One way to protect the fuel line would be to use the spiral plastic tubing used to protect wiring, it's available in automotive parts stores in several diameters.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:41 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best rigid tubing to use for glow fuel is the plastic stuff that's used as flexcable pushrod guide. It's inner diameter is greater than the ID of medium fuel tubing, but it's thin enough that fuel tubing slips over without being stretched too much, yet holds great.

Brass corrodes in alcohol/nitro.

The silicon fuel tubing that's available now is almost bullet proof. It's not going to chafe. And it won't burn unless it's pressed/locked against a muffler. I'd use it and simply check it every once in awhile.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:47 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

If you need to glue metal to a fuse I would recommend E6000. It pretty much adheres everything and is flexible.

Carl
Old 01-27-2006, 04:59 PM
dragos_cscc

Why would fuel foam up in a line due to vibration? If theres no air in the line to begin with, vibration will not cause foaming. There would have to be vibration and foaming in the fuel tank for this to happen, right?