Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why no "stick" type plane with the capabilities of an Extra?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why no "stick" type plane with the capabilities of an Extra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:51 AM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no "stick" type plane with the capabilities of an Extra?

The Edge and Extra type designs seem to have the best aerobatic and even 3D capabilities. So why no simple versions (stick type) with the tapered wings, balanced rudder and elevator, etc.? Granted it wouldn't have the overall slick looks of an Extra with a simple boxy fuselage and no cowl, but couldn't the flying characteristics be retained?

What I am looking for is a very simple 60 size plane. Shouldn't there be something better than the 4* 60 or Ultra Stick 60 in a simple design like that by now? I know they are great airplanes, but couldn't the tapered wing planform be included?

Thanks for any input!

Ernie
Old 02-08-2006, 02:17 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Why no "stick" type plane with the capabilities of an Extra?

Have you tried looking at some of the profile designs out there? Many of them almost perfectly fit the description you provided, with the exception of the fuselage design. Most of them fly extremely well.

Remember that most of the stick designs were based on a wing that sat either on top of, or on the bottom of, the fuselage. That by itself prevents a simpler design. It takes a bit more work to design a simple mid wing aircraft.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Silver, thanks for the reply. I knew that someone would say something! Yes, you are so right about the profiles. Since writing that post I have been looking at them, expecially the OMP profiles. They have the tapered wing planform and all. I got a chance to fly the Katana profile a couple of days ago and I was MOST impressed. It flew like an extention of your mind or imagination. Thanks for your input!

Ernie
Old 02-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ernie,

A friend of mine, he goes by JoeBob on RCU, has the OMP Fusion 3D. It is sort of a profile pattern/3D plane with the best of both. He has owned about all of the profiles, OMP Extra, OMP Katana, Mojo, you name it, and he says the Fusion is absolutely the best plane he has ever touched. He has the 60-90 size with a big Saito (1.20 or 1.50) in his and it flies fast, it flies slow, it does nice smooth acro and it does 3D. They now have a .46 size. He also says it is an easy build.