Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

*Sealing Control Surfaces*

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

*Sealing Control Surfaces*

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Sealing Control Surfaces*

Years ago I always sealed all the control surfaces including the rudder. I'm being told that there is no need to seal the control surface on the rudder. I'm kinda curious as to why you don't have to seal the rudder. If there is no need then thats one less step I need to do.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:50 PM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Sealing Control Surfaces*

Just what do you mean by "Sealing the control surfaces"?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:01 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Sealing the control surfaces are not that important if you just fly a trainer, then you have so much other things to think about. But if you want the best from your airplane like in pylonracing and aerobatics, then it's important.
Why the rudder isn't that important to seal is that you don't generaly have pressure differences acting upon it (there are exceptions to this of course when you fly knife edge).

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17679.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	402489  
Old 02-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Newc

I believe the key is "Is there a gap, and if so how big is it?", not whether or not the hinges are sealed. Many hinged surfaces are in good shape without any extra steps of sealing them. However, most builders leave a gap that should be sealed. This is true of the rudder as well as the other control surfaces since tight or sealed hinged surfaces are key to two areas - posiitive control from that surface and reduction and elimination of flutter.

It's likely that those that have told you not to bother sealing the rudder hinge surfaces are considering only the issue of 'no gap = best control' and not considering the flutter issue.

Seal 'em.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I always used to seal my gaps too. Now I rarely ever do it.

But first, as to your question... You don't need to seal the Rudder because there is no control surface on the opposite side (Like a left and right Aileron or Elevator)

But in any case, sealing a gap is only helpful if you have a LARGE gap, AND want more control, or if you are flying VERY precise aerobatics - Like Pattern Fliers - and even then it's rarely NECESSARY.

As far as curing flutter goes, to say that sealing the gap will fix flutter is like saying that sealing the gap between a flag and the flag pole will stop the flag from waving.

Sealing a gap CAN prevent flutter, but only in SOME cases. And really, curing flutter by sealing the gap is like joining a broken wing by binding it with new covering. Flutter is the result of a linkage problem, sealing the gap is treating the symptom, and not fixing the problem.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Newc

I agree, Mike, and if my comments were interpreted as flutter being solely caused by hinge gaps then my comments were taken differently than I intended.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys. I've always sealed mine and after hearing about not sealing the rudder, I just thought I'd hear what others had to say on this matter.