Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Sukhoi .90 1st edition

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Goldberg Sukhoi .90 1st edition

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:33 PM
ranger3725
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Sukhoi .90 1st edition

I just bought a 12 year old Goldberg Sukhoi 1st edition. It was built by a very good builder. I have an O.S 120FS ( non-surpass) on it, but heard that this engine is underpowered for the plane. Has anyone heard the samething? The plane has never flown, and I want to make the first flight this coming weekend. Does anyone have any advice for me on the first flight, and/or the set-up.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Sukhoi .90 1st edition

I had the same engine on the 120 size and although it was not as much power as I would like, it did fly it. I eventually went to a YS140. My total weight is something like 11.5 pounds. I also have a second one at 12.25 pounds running a G26 converted to electronic ignition

The only thing that took me a while to9 get used to is the stall break. It drops the nose and not a tip but when it comes it's sudden. This does make for some really nice snaps though. I also found that if you try to 3-point it on landing, be very close to the ground because of the stall being sudden, it will give up flying without giving you any feedback.

If you wheel land it then you will be just fine.

Other than those little bitty issues it's a beauty in the air and a dream to fly

Here is the YS powered on

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94693.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	405367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23048.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	405368   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27427.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	405369  
Old 02-10-2006, 06:33 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

You might want to take a good look at the landing gear. The 1st generation kits had that big heavy aluminum gear screwed into a structurally weak plate in the wing. As a result, it was very common for the gear to rip right off on any not-so-smooth landing. And then when the gear went, it took the belly pan off with it. I'm getting ready to build one myself, but am incorporating the modifications from the second generation kit to mount the gear to reinforced the fuselage. Besides, it's easier to store the plane with the gear on the fuse instead of the wing.

In any case, good luck on the maiden and let us know how it goes. Pictures are always appreciated too!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:35 AM
ranger3725

Thanks for the input. I've heard that it is a real nice plane to fly. I have not flown anything this big. The biggest plane in my hanger is a 60 sized P-51D. I'm so impressed with the look of this plane, that I don't want to bend it the first time out.

Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:44 PM
ranger3725

Thanks for the warning, however, the plane on its first attempt to fly, tore the gear out on a rough grass strip. It was fixed, but this way 12 years ago. If I'm unfortunate enough for this to happen again, do you know if there is a replacement for the belly pan? Also, do you know if parts are still avaliable for this plane.

Thanks for all the input!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 07:22 PM
bubbagates

There is a replacement fiberglass belly pan. I'll dig it up for you and post as soon as I find it
Old 02-10-2006, 07:31 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: ranger3725

Thanks for the warning, however, the plane on its first attempt to fly, tore the gear out on a rough grass strip. It was fixed, but this way 12 years ago. If I'm unfortunate enough for this to happen again, do you know if there is a replacement for the belly pan? Also, do you know if parts are still avaliable for this plane.

Thanks for all the input!!!

Here ya go

It's Stan's Fiber Tech. He has the cowl also

http://64.143.128.248/products.html

Part number CG-106

As far as parts go that one may be answerd by Goldberg but sometimes their customer service is pretty bad