Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sealector Iron for Monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sealector Iron for Monokote

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Capt. Bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealector Iron for Monokote

Just curious if anyone else started with a Sealector brand sealing iron for Monokote. Some one found out they worked better than a travel iron for Monokote. I still have Monokote instructions that show using a travel iron. The Sealector iron came with a green teflon shoe and a blunted front. I wound up with two of them that I got back in the early 1970s. The first had a "P" stamped on it and would not get hot enough for Monokote but worked fine for Solarfilm. Later people made shoes for them better suited to airplanes. Finally of course they were sold under hobby names like Top Flite.

I see the brand is still around and they may even make the ones sold for Monokote use
Old 02-12-2006, 09:34 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sealector Iron for Monokote

Clothing irons will work, but I wouldn't use one unless I had to. Just get any namebrand sealing iron and you'll do fine. They are much easier to handle, much lighter, and much easer to work into tighter areas. FOr those real tight areas, get a small trim iron. You won't be sorry...
Old 02-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Capt. Bill

I don't think you read my post right. I am not asking advice but asking if people used sealing irons before they were sold for hobby use. Talking about over 30 years ago. The little instruction paper in a roll of monokote showed using a little travel iron to apply it.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:03 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a point of interest --- I have one of the Sealector irons and have used it since the 70's. Mine doesn't have a "p" stamped on it. When I started using it I found that it didn't have the heat I needed so I took the knob off and readjusted the settings. Like I said that was in the 70's and I'm still using it, great little iron. And yes I have used a small travel iron, NUFF said. [&o] ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Capt. Bill

I have two, one with the "P" stamped on it and one with out. The one with the P did not get as hot as the other. The guy that taught me to fly when I was a Minot AFB turned me on to them and we ordered them from somebody. Probably places like Hobby People or Hobby Lobby were selling them through RCM. If I dug out my old RCMs from the early 70s I might find one listed.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Sealector iron that still works like a champ. You can adjust the thermostat in it to allow it to get hotter. Just remove the plastic knob. If you lookdown the shaft of the thermostat, you'll see a small screw. I don't remember which way to turn it, but you can turn it a little at a time to bring the heat of the iron up. You had to do this to be able to use the original Super Coverite, which needed more heat than MonoKote. Just adjust it a little at a time. You'll quickly find which way you have to turn it to make the iron hotter.