Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need Advice on Ultracoat Paint

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need Advice on Ultracoat Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:12 PM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Ultracoat Paint

Hi Folks,

I just did a bit of painting on a Four Star tail set using ultracoat red and yellow. I want to add a decal and over spray with clear. Turns out, everyone is out of stock on the Ultracoat clear. Can anyone recommend a compatible substitute that I can use? Thanks.

Steve
Old 02-23-2006, 02:36 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need Advice on Ultracoat Paint

Rustoleum clear. It's fuel proof. Clear is clear, right? I would never buy the expensive paint unless I needed an exact match. Other than that, go buy some rustoleum for 1/2 the price, or less.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful. Clear is not always fuel resistant/proof. If the label on the can says it is an ACRYLIC, it is USUALLY fuel resistant/proof. Also be careful of compatibility. Ideally, you want to keep enamel with enamel products and lacquer with lacquer products.

Ultracote is an enamel.

You may also want to look at some of spray cans of automotive clear. If all else fails use Lusterkote.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Hi, name's Ken (Starfighter). Be very careful here. The ONLY compatible overcoat(s) are Clear Ultracote, OR Clear Polyurethane.
CAUTION: If you overcoat with the Polyurethane, then you CANNOT recoat with any other type of paint. You can only overcoat with polyurethane. If you use the Ultracote clear, no problem with successive applications of color paint. Do not apply Lustercote over Ultracote paint.
Yes, clear polyurethane will work very well, and is fuelproof. A good source for a crystal clear polyurethane is an Automotive polyurethane, even the ones you can buy at the auto parts store in a spray can.
Good luck, Ken (Starfighter).
Old 02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Thank you all for the responses. The thing about paint is that you only get one shot to get it right. I sensed that Lusterkote was not a good choice because I believe it is a laquer based paint or at least the VOC's in the can are rather aggressive - I have had problems with that stuff before doing something similar. I will try to get a can of clear Poly at the auto supply and give that a shot. I guess it would be wise to make a test piece first.

Steve
Old 08-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Lamar6

I just found your thread on Ultracoat. I just purchased a Yak from Qui Somonzini and it is white. I want to paint it but do not want to ruin it. Do you all have any suggestions on the brand of paint and preparation necessary to air brush on Ultracoat or Oura cover which is the brand that Qu Qu uses.

THanks

Lee Sorensen
Old 08-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cstevenpeterson

Thank you all for the responses. The thing about paint is that you only get one shot to get it right. I sensed that Lusterkote was not a good choice because I believe it is a laquer based paint or at least the VOC's in the can are rather aggressive - I have had problems with that stuff before doing something similar. I will try to get a can of clear Poly at the auto supply and give that a shot. I guess it would be wise to make a test piece first.

Steve
Lusterkote is a lacquer base.

As far as the polyurethane goes - oil base polyurethane is fuel proof, but it will yellow on you in about 6 - 8 months.

Water base polyurethane does not yellow with age, but is fuel resistant WITH THE FOLLOWING CAVEATS:

1. Do not expose to glow fuel for a MINIMUM of 7 days after application.

2. Do not let the residue from the engine remain on the plane over 6 hours. After that the finish will begin to soften.

I paint many of my planes using latex and clear coat with water base polyurethane (MinWax Polycrylic). From personal experience the caveats are what I have found. It may be a trick of the mind, but it seems that the older the water base poly gets, the more fuel resistant it becomes.

You may also want to try "Dupli-Color" Truck & Van paint. My experience with this paint has been that as long as the label states it is acrylic (usually somewhere on the back) it is fuel proof to 15% nitro anyway. Be careful of compatibility since MOST of the paint is lacquer, but SOME is an enamel. You can put enamel over lacquer, but not the other way. The Dupli-Color I usually get at Wal-Mart and it runs about $4.00 for an 11 oz spray can.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Lamar6

Thanks I will give that a try. The two directions we have been given is Rustolem and go to the Auto paint store.

Lee