Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fiberglass clothing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fiberglass clothing

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 02:29 PM
how to?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass clothing

hello,

I am french modeler, I builded 5 planes already and i finished them using ironing covering.
Now i Look forward and I started building a all wood p51 mustang. I want to finish it with fiberglass clothing and paint.
I don't have any experience in such a job, so my question is
Where can I find infos (fiberlgass weight, resins to use, paint, and a method to apply)

Thank you
Old 12-05-2002, 03:07 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm working on my first fiberglassing project now. Art's Hobby has a great how-to on glassing, that's what I've been following. I'm using .56 oz/yd cloth and EZ-Lam resin from Aerospace Composites. So far it's working great. Takes alot of time but should come out better than covering.

Do a search for fiberglassing, I'm sure you'll find alot of info.

Ben
Old 12-05-2002, 05:29 PM
rorywquin

I have just finished my first attempt at glassing - it is a lot work - makesure your finish is absolutely perfect before you begin and when you do fibelglass becareful not to move the weave too much.

The glassing itself is not a big job but, the painting and finishing is a lot of work. Remember an iron on covering covers, colours and finishes your plane in one step! Fiberglassing is a lot more steps and needs patience (example - for waiting to the weather to improve so you can paint !!!)!

There is a good site somewhere giving step by step instructions on how to do the job. I will look tomorrow and post it here if I find it but do a search as suggested - I am sure I saw it here.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:13 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

try doing a search here (top right side of your screen) for info on fiberglass etc. lots of tips and links.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:36 PM
how to?

in fact the ironing material is simple to aply and give a nice finish when applied on a surface properly sanded, but the restrictions i see coming in my dreams is the choice of colors......
I don't think you can paint correctly those plastic films.
My future project is to build a large scale spit (1/5 pica is curently my choice). I feel that ironing this bird will be a kind of sacrilege....

So I make my first fiberglassing atempt on my tope flite p51 (on fuselage only), and i will feel comfortable with the technique i'll try to make something which really look like a warbird.

I have all my time, and the building procedure may take years, i don't care because i will consider that plane like a kind of "masterpiece". I will make it fully ready to fly, but if it look great i think it will stay on ground and i will continue to fly my something extra and my four star 60