Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering

Old 12-06-2002, 11:25 PM
Gerard Dolan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering

Would like some informatiom and thoughts as to how anyone out there likes Oracover low-temp covering from Hobby Lobby?
I'm thinking of using it to save weight on an electric 4 Star 40 and on a plan built PT-19 36 WS powered by an OS 10.
How do you like or dislike it? How well does it stretch and shrink around curves etc.. Does it wrinkle in sunny hot weather etc.?
How do you like the color, etc.? Is it easier or more difficult to use than Monkeykote?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts ideas and advise!
Sincerely,
Gerard Dolan
Old 12-07-2002, 01:14 PM
h8w8n

Default Covering

It's the same thing as ultracote
Old 12-08-2002, 04:47 AM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

Default Covering

Oracover and Ultracote are made by the same manufacturer.

Years ago a rep from Carl Goldberg demonstrated this covering at a club meeting. I thought the guy was a real pro when I saw the job he was doing.
I was skeptical primarily because I did not have the best luck with Monokote.

He let me try it at the meeting. The rest is history. I would not think of using anything else unless I had no other choice.

Follow the instructions and you will not be disappointed.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Default Covering

Ultracote/Oracover definately!!!!

While MonoKote has more color choices, Ultracte is MUCH easier to work with. I have used Monokote before and don't like it at all! I really admire the guys that can use that stuff well.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:51 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering

I had two planes in my car, parked in sun for a day. The one covered with Ultra coat came out so bad I had to redo the whole thing . The other with Mono coat looked great.Ultra coat & Ora cover are easier to use. Just don`t let them get too hot! I still like the smell of dope. Any body got any Banana Oil? big max 1935
Old 12-12-2002, 09:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Covering

Ultracote all the way!
Old 12-12-2002, 11:51 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Default Covering

I like Ultracote also! Monokote gets to brittle after about a year of being on the plane. Hanger 9 just needs to get some high quality paint to match, and its by-by Monokote for me!
Old 12-12-2002, 11:58 PM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

Default Covering

The wrinkling usually depends on 2 factors when the car heat is a player. One is how tight the film was stretched before it was tacked down and shrunk and two what color it is. The darker colors tend to wrinkle more in my experience.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:57 AM
Giant Scale

Default Covering

I purchased some of the hobby lobby oracover because I was looking for a covering to use over balsa sheeted foam. The best way I can describe this stuff is FANTASTIC. Applying the oracover is like night and day compared to monokote. The colors do not seem to be as rich as the monokote but it is so much easier to work with. Compound curves are a breeze to cover. So far the covering has held up pretty well..I used it to cover my 35% Giles. It also works exceptionally well in multi color trim schemes as it doesn't bubble like the monokote. You just need to know which temperature to use to activate adhesive versus full shrink. It's amazing to work with, even the most nasty wrinkles disappear. Give it a try you will not be disappointed.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:07 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Default Covering

I believe it's 220 degrees for Ultracote for full bond strength, and no shrinkage.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:06 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering

To each his own guys, I like Ultra-Coat for its easy use,and as days go by it even looks better. But like I said don`t leave it in a hot place. The first Mono-Coat ads said you could use it over and over, wasn`t that something ? We were ready for any thing after being high on Testors glue and Aero-gloss dope. You haven`t lived till you burned up a wing drying it over Ma`s gas stove? Some things you only do once, it`s all in the learning curve. big max 1935