Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

akernims? (pardon my funnyneticks)

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

akernims? (pardon my funnyneticks)

Old 03-22-2006, 07:33 AM
kd7oir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default akernims? (pardon my funnyneticks)

Ok this might seem silly. But what do all the akernims (pardon my funnyneticks) after the engin sizes meen? And what is the best for two strokes. I'm looking to get a OS .40-.50 sx/ax abl/fx /la but don't know which one. What would a person look for in a twostroke? (Besides performance reliability ect)
Thanks
Shawn
Old 03-22-2006, 09:47 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: akernims? (pardon my funnyneticks)

ORIGINAL: kd7oir

What would a person look for in a twostroke?
(
A coupon for a 4-stroke, maybe?

Each mfg has their own arcane method of confusing the engine issue, I think OS has more than anyone. I know that the LA letters indicate a plain bearing engine, and I believe the SX engine is a ringed piston, and the AX is an AAC with no ring on the piston, but the others, I don't have a clue. I only have one OS engine, an LA.40 that came on my trainer, and as long as Saito is in business, probably won't own another OS. Not that OS isn't good, it's just one of those Ford-Chevy things.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I would stay away from the LA. Its an OK engine but lacks power. Fine for a trainer or sunday flyer but you will wish you had gone with a ball bearing engine if you get an acrobat.

Personally I wouldnt buy the OS. Why pay $115 for an OS 46AX when you can get a thunder tiger pro for $90. The super tigre 51 is a good engine and its only $80. A magnum 46 is also $80. All of these are good engines for $25-$35 less than the OS.

If you are new to engines I would go with the tt pro 46 its definetely as user friendly as an engine can get and it matches up to the OS 46 AX power wise.

I am really tempted to get a ST 51. At the price its a least worth a look.

If you really want a winning combo buy a tower muffler http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJB16&P=ML for the tt pro 46 for $15. For $105 total you will have a fantastic combo!
Old 03-22-2006, 05:54 PM
kd7oir

I have a Evolution Engines .61NT and the os will be my second engine for my second plane a Sig Piper J-3 Cub Kit .25-.40,71 that'll get flotes in time. I'm thinking of the O.S. .46 AX ABL w/Muffler for $115. I wasn't looking for a ford shevy thing eather. I want an O.S.
Thanks
Shawn