Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

A little help with valves please

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

A little help with valves please

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:22 PM
David JS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help with valves please

I would be very grateful for a little help with the valves in the attached picture please.

The valve on the LHS was included with an unbuilt YA F-16 aircraft that I bought (I don't know if YA supplied the part direct). I have no idea what applications it is designed for, and would appreciate some help.

The valve on the RHS was supplied by YA with some F-16 wheels with brakes, and so I assume that it is a non-proportional brake valve (although no instructions were supplied). The screw simply blanks one hole off. I guess that air is supplied to the 'middle' nipple, and is routed to the brakes by moving the piston 'away from the screw end'.

In both cases the piston appears to have an un-threaded hole running right through. I assume that this is somehow used for attachment to a servo for operation, but again I have no idea how this should be achieved (particularly to allow for the lateral movement of the servo output arm). Any help on this would be very welcome.

Finally, what is the best material for lubricating these valves please?

Cheers

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88765.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	436035  
Old 03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A little help with valves please

The valve on the LHS is used with many popular pneumatic retract systems.
The valve on the RHS is most likely part of your brake system as you stated. As to how it works, you will need to contact YA . They are usually very helpful with product support.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:53 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Simple. Slide a steel wire through the hole in the piston, then put the piston into the valve. you'll probably need somewhere in the neighborhood of 2/56 wire. Place a wheel collar on each end of the piston to lock the wire to the piston. Then, as you move the wire back and forth, it will move the piston with it. Hook the wire up to a servo (either with a Z bend, or one of those EZ connectors), and wholah!

One side note, the wheel collars you use must be small enough to travel into the valve a little ways. Just get the smallest ones that will fit the wire you choose!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:55 AM
David JS

Thanks 2slow2matter and Doug D for the info.

Any views on what to lubricate the pistons with please?

Cheers

David
Old 03-31-2006, 02:12 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know about that. If they are rubber, then any light petroleum based oil should be fine. If you are unsure, then go with a synthetic. Something light, and don't get too much--you don't want that stuff being blown all over the place when the air bleeds off.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:50 PM
David JS

Ok, thanks

The brake valve looks like it has a little petroleum jelly on it, so I could try that on the other, which is dry. The o-rings do appear to be made of rubber.

Cheers

David