Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Respirators for CA?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Respirators for CA?

Old 03-31-2006, 10:34 AM
shakes268

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respirators for CA?

Anyone know of a good respirator to use while gluing with CA? I did quite a bit of gluing over the weekend and my lungs didn't cooperate this week.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Respirators for CA?

Get a cartridge respirator. The kind used for painting in auto body shops.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:21 AM
shakes268

Thanks - I found this at home depot: [link=http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfladdhgldemihcgelceffdfgidglo.0&MID=9876]Cartridge Respirator[/link]
Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 PM
redfox435cat

damn I thought that was the whole point of building
a paint type reporator would do fine
Old 04-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Fredsterman

Wear eye protection as well. CA fumes will cure on any moist surface, like your lungs, or eyes.
If you use a cartridge respirator look for a HEPA type cartridge, (they're purple/magenta).
But the respirator should be your last defense against the ca, or any other hazardous material.
Proper ventilation is the best fix.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:03 AM
elcam84
My Feedback: (2)

There aren't any that are really reccomended for CA. Many modern BC CC auto paints and others like POR15 have cyano acrelates in them now. The only reccomended mask is a fresh air mask. Basically like a fire fighters mask but hooked up to a glorified vacuum cleaner with a long hose. The box is located somewhere it can always get fresh air.

One guy decided to spray POR15 against theadvise of the company and others. He sprayed a whole frame one day without a mask. He was coughing up blood the next day.

However a Charcoal filter mask will be better than nothing. They do work... The problem is you don't know when the filter is no longer working as the charcoal is sucking stuff up constantly. When done using your mask take the filters off and place them in an air tight bag with as little air in it as possible. I store mine in a vacuum using a vacuum sealer and the containers available for it.

Also like montioned eyeprotection is a very very good idea as the fumes are dangerous and you are right above them.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:18 AM
JimTrainor

I just run a small fan over my work area when I use the stuff. I rarely notice the fumes.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:56 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

I have to train people with regard to pesticide safety as part of my job. That includes respirators. elcam84 is right, but you do know when a charcoal mask stops working, because you start smelling the poison and die.[][]

With CA, I think a good fan is the best option. Not enough to blow your balsa across the workshop, just enough to keep it away from you. It is irritating, but not very toxic. I have experienced similar symptoms with CA and now I just hold my breath when I am gluing, or work outdoors, (if there is good weather, I use an easy-up in the side yard).

As one who has worn and used respirators I can tell you that they are more uncomfortable than a duct-tape facial after the first hour of use. I would do whatever I could to avoid a respirator requirement. They are expensive, uncomfortable, confining and they interfere with normal movement and breathing. (I hate em).

Better safe than sorry, though.