Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

epoxy and non-stick screw?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

epoxy and non-stick screw?

Old 04-01-2006, 08:21 AM
3 for 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default epoxy and non-stick screw?

Hi,
I'm changing to a new motor mount on a firewall. When I removed the old blind nuts some ply came with it. I'll plug the holes.
When I place the new blind nuts I'd like to cover the back side of the fire wall and cover the back side of the nuts with cloth and epoxy at the same time.

Has anyone found a non-stick solution to keep the epoxy from sticking to the screws while it sets?

I'd like to have the screws in place to keep the threads from filling with epoxy.

wax, glycerin, PAM, soap?

thanks,
rcs
Old 04-01-2006, 08:53 AM
treedog

Default RE: epoxy and non-stick screw?

try some epoxy on a screw let it set then try unscrewing it epoxy has some flex to it even when dry putting oil on the screw of any type might preclude the use of a thread loc liquid at a later date . then again i might just try wax that seems like it might work. also epoxy that iv'e used when i unscrewed it came out just as clean if not cleaner as it picked up dust and or foerign materials like a sponge. this is just my opinion if i understand u correctly.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:33 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Vaseline
Old 04-01-2006, 10:15 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Almost any oil will work. Vaseline is probably the best because you can see where it goes. I used Vicks Vapo-rub once in a pinch, (smells better than Vaseline). You can clean the threads thoroughly with solvent or detergent if you wish, or use a small brush to remove the oil. I, being Lazy and slothful, just add a drop of CA or Thread-Lock.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:18 AM
treedog

epoxy doesn't have the torsional strength of say other types of glues like ca which sticks readily to smooth metal. if u dont believe me put some epoxy on a flat metal surface smooth not sanded and after it dries it will peel right off. i have to disagree with vaseline if later on u decide that u want to put a thread locker type glue on the threads as u will then need to get the vaseline off. remember the motor mounts are near the vibration of the engine. just my opinion. doesn't any 1 use loc tite on there screws anymore?
Old 04-01-2006, 10:04 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Epoxy won't stick worth a hoot on steel screws, it will give a nice pop and let go. I use steel screws when setting all my blind nuts and nylon nuts in epoxy with fine results.