Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Grass or Paved runway

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Grass
72.88%
Paved
27.12%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Grass or Paved runway

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:41 AM
mobflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grass or Paved runway

What is your preference, or thoughts, pro's and con's
Old 04-01-2006, 10:59 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Grass or Paved runway

I chose "grass", but there should be a choice for "either". Our club has both, and there are times where one is better than the other. A small plane is easier to get up to speed on pavement, it doesn't catch the gear or prop in the grass, and even big planes are great off pavement, Landing might be more forgiving on grass if you screw up, but once you get the hang of it, pavement is my preferred surface there, too. Not as much braking effect due to drag on the wheels, less tendency to nose the plane over, but runway rash is more severe if you nose over or ground loop on pavement.

Then there are the WWI birds with a tail skid instead of a tailwheel. More abrasive, and prototypical flight for them is obviously off grass. The larger wheels aren't affected as much on grass anyway.

Lots of times, I take off on the paved strip and land on the grass one (they're side by side).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13984.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	437035  
Old 04-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer grass runway as grass slows you plane down quicker on landing. Plus, landing on grass will make you a better pilot.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Landing on grass:

For some cool videos of me landing on grass, check out my website.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:22 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

Plus, landing on grass will make you a better pilot.
I don't completely buy that; I think it's easier to land on grass than pavement. Pavement doesn't damp the touchdown at all, and if you touch hard enough and start to bounce, it usually continues and intensifies, so learning to "grease it in" is more important on pavement. Also, since there is little braking action, the roll out is longer, requiring the pilot to maintain yaw control longer, especially on a tail-dragger. You still have to maintain pitch control to keep the nose from burying, although I do feel that is more difficult on grass, especially the longer it is.

Takeoff is easier on pavement, though, takes less time to accelerate to flying speed, but the tendency to veer left may seem more pronounced and occur more quickly because there is less drag on the wheels.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

On 600+ runways I like paved.
Grass is easier on the plane overall and allows you to stop quicker.
I like the challenge of hitting the line on landings.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:56 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer grass runways myself. although i have some small electrics that would really be nice for a paved runway. The paved runways just intimidate me sometimes. because the landing just keeps rolling and you have to use s-turns to get it to slow down. Plenty of times in the last year i have wondered about the takeoffs and landings while learning on pavement or grass. seems like it would easier to take off from pavement as opposed to the longer spring grass. Anyone who learned on both during their first year of flying i would like their opinions on which they thought was easier.

Dennis
Old 04-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Hurri

Think for retracts then paved is best , also usually the paved is more like a runway , & is narrower than a grass patch , so you have to be a better flyer to get down on it than grass.
However i voted Grass , I have mostly big WW1 stuff & try landing cross wind on paved runways . Last year after 3 landing s across wise , my big 1/3rd Pup had the landing gear all bent a 3hour job to fix at home &&& the one wing tip was worn right thru from the paved runwayrubbing on it . SO Grass !!!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:12 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I like the challenge of hitting the line on landings.
I like the challenge of hitting the ground on landings but not so hard I can't re-use the plane

BTW, what do you fly you need 600 feet for, anyway?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:01 AM
guille2006

I choose grass... I used to fly in pavement but many times resulted scratched on wing tips or props (now I get green!!!)
Bye!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 AM
PlaneHeli

I prefer Grass.

I still have fond memories of the smell of grass while out at the local site. The smell of burning castor oil also brings back memories.

We had a big square field off the side of our local airport, regulary mowed, good smooth condition, and you could always takeoff into wind if required.

Im not flying on paved at the moment but ground just as hard, and its giving my models a hard time.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:23 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

I'd like both. Since our field is located in the high plains desert area of Wyoming, paved is the only way to go.

Rich

------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31