Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

whip antennas?

Old 04-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Holton50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whip antennas?

i was thinking getting one of those compact (whip antennas) for my 1/4 patty; are these any good? how are their range?
thanks-
chris
Old 04-04-2006, 08:36 AM
da Rock

Default RE: whip antennas?

If you're talking about the "duck" ones for TXs.........

They're marketed by the couple of places that sell them as "having more than enough range" and "having only slightly less range" then the factory antennas.

I've never seen a thermal glider guy with one.
I've never seen a power guy who flew his model out far enough that it'd matter.
I flew the other day with a guy who sells them at his shop. He was flying a couple of TXs and neither had one on it.

If you're talking about an antenna for your model, I've never seen one and would appreciate a link to whatever site sells them. Sounds interesting.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Revolution and Deans both make base loaded whip antennas, the heli guys use them all the time with good results but the ranges to see and fly a heli aren't that far.

However I have seen them showing up on jets at our field lately and those guys swear by them.

http://www.wsdeans.com/products/antenna/piece.html
http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...t_Code=RVO1010
http://www.quickuk.co.uk/acatalog/r_index.htm
Old 04-04-2006, 03:10 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

I've got a whip antenna on a micro helicpoter I no longer fly. I want to use the RX with the antenna on my plane, otherwise I have no use for it, other than to sell it. I am a little hesitant about using the whip antenna on my plane though. Maybe try it out on a "beater" plane 1st.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Holton50

Yeah i was talking about one for my 1/4 scale patty, on the RX that is.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:17 PM
da Rock

hey, this thread is kewl....

Thanks for the links. I plan to dig into them for the answer to this question, but does anyone know up front whether or not those RX antennas are said to have as good a range?

I know that the TX antennas aren't promised to have equal range.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Holton50

I heard form one guy that with one of those compact "whip" antenna's he was getting 200+ paces out no problem. An this is like 350 feet.... But i don't want to put one on a 2000 dollar plane till i hear more peoples experiences. kinda skeptical at this point. [sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-04-2006, 05:11 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Deans whip antennas on almost everything I've built in the last 15 years. That includes 1/2a through quarter scale and I've never had a problem with range.

My current project is a rarity in that I will leave the stock antenna on my new Futaba R319DPA because the fuselage is plenty large enough to hide it. But if I had to hang that wire outside the plane you can bet I'd cut the sucker off and put a Deans in it.

My fun fly plane, pattern plane and 1/4 scale bipe all have Deans antennas. As will my next project, a 1/2a pattern plane.

Dave
Old 04-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Holton50

wait are you mounting the deans actually inside the fuselage without the antenna reaching outside of the fuse? like hiding it in there?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Go to my profile and click on the gallery page. The KI-84 Frank uses a Deans whip antenna because the plane is carbon fiber with aluminum wing spars and flaps. This plane has been in service since 1992 and has flown all over the US.
As with any installation do a thorough range check especially with the motor running. My experience has been that it will become a visual problem long before it is a range problem.
I have also had good results with the Stealth Strip antenna but I don't know if they are still in business.
ORIGINAL: Fastdyno

i was thinking getting one of those compact (whip antennas) for my 1/4 patty; are these any good? how are their range?
thanks-
chris
Old 04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Fastdyno

wait are you mounting the deans actually inside the fuselage without the antenna reaching outside of the fuse? like hiding it in there?

Absolutely! I use the Deans one piece antenna and stick it down in the aft end of the fuselage with servo tape. Keep it away from anything metal.

Never had any reception or range problems and you'll never see an antenna hanging out of one of my planes.

Dave