Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuel question

Old 04-06-2006, 04:09 PM
rc pilot
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel question

what fuel do most people or someone recomend for a four stroke engine, my local hobby shop never seems to carry fs fuel. I like to run on 15% nitro. anyone with info would really help. Could i run 30% 2 stroke fuel? My hobby shop sells a ton of that. I have a 0.s. 70 and a Saito 100 f.s if that matters
Old 04-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: fuel question

I use 10 - 15% nitro in my Saito 72, 82 and OS 52 and they run fine. At the field there are a couple of people that run 30% nitro in their Saitos and OS 120. They say it gives them more power.

I run Byron's in 10 or 15% nitro in both my 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. I don't bother with the 4 stroke fuel (basicly just more oil). Just make sure you have 16% (or more) oil to insure proper lubrication and cooling.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:42 PM
ir8prim8

saito suggests using 18% oil for there motors... 30% nitro will give you a noticable difference in performance. for example i have a 40 size bi-plane with a saito 82. with 15% i can barly hold it at a hover and if it slips to one side the hover will fail... with 30% i can climb out of the hover.

there is no such thing as 2-stroke or 4 stroke fuel. if your running both 2 and 4 stroke engines 16% will be fine. but make sure not to lean the mixture out too much in a 4 stroke or you could shorten its overall life considerably... even 16% is ok for 4-strokes. my suggestion is that if you have 16% oil 15% nitro and want to increase the oil content. you can buy a quart of castor oil from your local store. adding 1.5 oz of castor oil will increase your oil content aprox 2%. using a higher oil content will not hurt your 4-strokes. the higher the oil content the richer the engine will sound. ive used 24% oil with 30% nitro and have no problems at all.

WARNING: do not add castor oil to synthetic blends. most 30% or higher fuel will be mixed with synthetic oil instead of castor. it will say on the bottle if its synthetic or castor.
WARNING: too much oil content in a 2-stroke engine will cause its performance to drop. you will lose rpm's and will be forced to run the engine richer to acomidate there being less fuel in the mix.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:52 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Asking a question about which fuel to use is like asking Ford or Chevy.
Any fuel with at least 16 - 20% or either synthetic, or syntetic/castor oil will be fine for either motor. The Morgan fuels (Omega / Cool Power), Wildcat, ect will be just fine.
Low oil content + high nitro = short engine life.

With any new plane/ motor combo, I use Wildcat 5%. If I need (want) more power, I also carry a gallon of 20%. Extra nitro cost more $$$. Don't waste your money if you don't need it.

Ask around the club next time you fly. There is always someone that will let you "borrow" a tank of fuel for experimenting. Just be sure to return it.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:21 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I've been running my 2 & 4 - strokes on the same fuel for 2 decades now, no problems. Cool Power 15% with 4 ozs. of Klotz syn. oil added per gal = 20% oil. I'm sure it would be fine with just the standard oil content - 17% - but I "feel" better with the bit of extra oil.