Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Going from 2-blade to 3-blade

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Going from 2-blade to 3-blade

Old 04-11-2006, 01:02 PM
niche
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from 2-blade to 3-blade

I am switching from 2-blade to 3-blade prop's since my plane is kind of short for the motor.
Superkybolt with a webra 1.20
I am using a 16x6 2-blade , which one would be the 3-blade equivalent?
I know you go one dimater shorter hwneg switching from 2-blade to 3-blade but I don't see any 15x6 in 3-blade
Any thoughts
Thanks
Omar
Old 04-11-2006, 01:37 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Going from 2-blade to 3-blade

From what I've read about 2 to 3 blade conversion, you can go 1" less on dia or 1" less on pitch to keep the rpms about the same. In my experience, when I want to change pitches or diameters on 2 blades for different thrust to speed performance, as a general rule of thumb, I always had to change the dia. by 1 and the pitch by 2 in the opposite direction to stay in the same rpm ball park. Let's say we change the 16x6 2-blade to 15x8 or 14x10, then the 2 to 3 blade conversion would make those 15x7, 14x8, or 14x9, 13x10. Obviously, these rule of thumbs are not an "exact" science, but should help keep you in the desired target rpm range. So, if you can't find a 15x6, look for something adjacent in size like a 15x7 or 14x7 or 14x8. Does anybody else concur with this or is there something more accurate to go by that I might be missing out on?