Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Question about prop

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Question about prop

Old 04-11-2006, 10:43 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about prop

Was itching to get out and fly after a long spell of windy weekends...and didnt have enough time to drive the hour out to my clubs field...so (briliant person I am...) I decided to fly out of a 40' long culdesac...which I found out was FAR to small.. To make a long story short, after about 6 waved off landings I finally set it down and stopped it with about 2 feet to spare in front of the ditch...

However, I took about a 1/4 inch out of one side the prop and was wondering if it would be safe to fly if I cut about 5/8s off each side...Its a LONG drive to a hobby shop (2 hours) and I would like to avoid it if possible

Thx,
AZ

Ps. Plz dont spam me about flying out of a residental area...Im not planning on flying there again, and I did ask the people who lived there if I could fly there first
Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 AM
Mode One

Default RE: Question about prop

Yes, it's possible. You will be taking more than an inch out of the propeller's diameter, however. You don't mention the engine, plane or original propeller size, so it is really impossible to say the modification will be o.k.

Better to go to the hobby shop, or mail order and buy a few correct sized props! If you cut-down the prop, be sure to balance it!
Old 04-12-2006, 06:48 AM
scott14

AZ,

I would be afraid that it might have stress fractures you cant see from the impact..

I'd hate to hear that prop came apart while you were over it adjusting the hight speed needle[]

I would just get a new prop.

ST
Old 04-12-2006, 07:34 AM
ArmedZagi

Alright thx guys looks like I'll just put on my MA 12x5 until I can get to the lhs and buy a 13x4

Btw can I excpect the plane to fly much diferently with the 12x5? Its an Extra 300 with a .61
Old 04-12-2006, 09:36 AM
2slow2matter

Nothing unmanageable. It should be fine. Definitely throw the old prop away. They are too cheap to risk hurting yourself over. If nothing else, order one from Tower--they will ship it in the mail, and you should have it in a couple or three days. I would think overnight shipping might even be cheaper than gas on a 4 hour round trip!