Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

wash out

Old 04-12-2006, 02:48 AM
shafs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wash out

why do people build wash out into wings?

And what would happen if you Didn’t

Shafs
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 AM
Phlip

Default RE: wash out

This question may be better answered by the eggheads in the aerodynamics forum but I'll give it a shot. Wash-out is a slight twist built into the wing so that the tips have less angle-of-attack than the center. The idea is that, when the wing stalls, the tips will keep flying longer (and maintain aileron control) than the center and prevent the dreaded "tip-stall," where one wing tip drops and the plane wants to snap roll, unintentionally. This is especially important on landings as you slow the plane down for touch down--you dont want one wing to drop and catch the ground.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:42 AM
Mode One

Great explaination Philip! A blunter wing leading edge radii at the tip, will accomplish the same effect, as will deployed/extended flaps.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:15 AM
shafs

Ok

thanks i am going to be putting togeather a TF P51B should i build wash out into the wing?

shafs.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:24 AM
flapper

Absolutely. Without washout that type of wing set up will cause tip stalling at the drop of a hat. I am building a Top Flight spitfire and washout is built into the wing as part of the construction. You might want to float your question in the Warbirds forum.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:35 AM
shafs

Ok thanks for that.

The Mustang is on its way from QLD. there is a twenty page forum for some P51 building from TF kit this will be my first warbird kit. i looked at the ARF P51s but they did not measure up.

Shafs.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:05 AM
flapper

You will be able to get a lot of good tips from the warbirds forum. The P51 is very popular. Some good scale details can be built in during construction. Some blokes have got right into it and it is quite amazing the work they put into them. Are you fitting retracts? If so, you should go for the Robarts air type and purchase from Tower Hobbies. I got the 605HD and a air accessory kit for under $250Aus. You won't find them here for under $400.

Remember the advice you will get in the warbird forum; BUILD LIGHT. Many threads discuss how tail heavy the Top Flight planes can be. I had to modify the arrangement of servo mounts and other bits'n pieces to get more weight infront of the CG. Even with a Magnum .91FS I will still need to add weight up front to blanace and I still havn't glassed the plane yet!!

I really can't tell you much about the P51 as I havn't built this one. Best of luck with yours.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15220.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	443896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41066.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	443897  
Old 04-12-2006, 02:56 PM
shafs

Hi

Thanks for all the Info. what did tower hobbie charge to send them out. i was thinking of getting the guy in sydney to make some custom one for me. but if tower hobbies works out a better price i will go that way.

shafs
Old 04-12-2006, 03:35 PM
campbec

Hi shafs,

You generally get what you pay for. Peter Gow makes a superb product. "Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya pick".

Cheers,

Colin
Old 04-13-2006, 12:44 AM
shafs

The spitfire looks nice how long befroe it flys?

Yes i have seen what he makes a friend has a set of Peter Gows retracts in a harverd and they work well.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:33 AM
flapper

I havn't done much else with the spitty. All construction finished just need to glass and paint. I have put it on the backburner as I was spending too much time building and not enough flying. I also scratch built a Yak 50 at the same time. Glassing is a messy and time consuming affair so I need to pull my finger out and get started.

Couple of pics of the Yak.

Name:	Hf98720.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	444430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42233.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	444431  
Old 04-13-2006, 05:50 AM
shafs

Nice Yak.

I see you have a P47 is it the CMpro? i have the larger size ARF P47 i am haveing heaps of problems with the retracts they get riped just about every flight.

[:@]
Old 04-13-2006, 06:16 AM
flapper

The P47 is also a scratch build job. Used the Airborne Magazine plans- very basic. Only put fixed gear on. Flies great though. Like most warbirds had to add a ton of lead up front to balance CG. Is fitted with Magnum 120FS. 2 degree WASHOUT on wings - would not last long without it due to the wing shape and loading. Working flaps which make one hell of a difference when landing this type of plane. It basicly floats in at just above idle for 3 point landings.

Name:	Fc90134.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	444448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79720.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	444449  
Old 04-13-2006, 06:41 AM
shafs

I like the 47 i will have to get mine going soon. i fly choppers to they are good at draining my bank account!! Last week i blew a piston and sleave so there go 150 bucks. here is a pic of it.

Name:	Tr49246.jpg
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	444452