Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba 9CHP

Old 04-12-2006, 11:08 PM
davesteemke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9CHP

Almost done with new CG Biplane but ran into a snag last night. setting up 2 elevator servo's to work with the aileron's movement. They are either going in the wrong direction or going opposite of each other. I also have two aileron servo for the bottom wing and i know thats just going to add to the confusion. I'd like the split elevator to move with the ailerons.
Thanks 4 Your time,
Dave
[email protected]

CG Ultimate Biplane
OS FS-120III
Futaba 9CHP
9 Ch Receiver
Deluxe Smoke System
Old 04-12-2006, 11:28 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Futaba 9CHP

I may be misunderstanding your post. You want the elevator halves to move with the ailerons? ...Why? What would you use for elevator control? Are you trying to mix elevator with ailerons so that you the tail set-up as 'elevons'? Again why?

...or do you want elevons on both elevator and aileron control surfaces? Why again?

Maybe I'm missing something....sorry.

You can manually reverse a servo or buy a servo-reversing 'y' harness to match the elevator servos.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:57 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave, this can be done with the ailevator function. I think you must use channel 8 for the second elevator channel. I have set this up before. there is a catch though. It has to be on all the time. I could not find a way to put it on a switch so I set the mix to zero and never flew it with the mix. If you still want to try it post how you have your servos all wired to the RX and I will try and talk you through it.

Secondly,you dont need this with and ULT. If i knew why you wanted the mix maybe there is a better way to get you there.

David
Old 04-13-2006, 04:05 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Dave, this can be done with the ailevator function. I think you must use channel 8 for the second elevator channel. I have set this up before. there is a catch though. It has to be on all the time. I could not find a way to put it on a switch so I set the mix to zero and never flew it with the mix. If you still want to try it post how you have your servos all wired to the RX and I will try and talk you through it.

Secondly,you dont need this with and ULT. If i knew why you wanted the mix maybe there is a better way to get you there.

David
tis correct....the ailevator function...
and correct again, no way to turn the link off while in flight...

it is used sometimes in jets (the function where the ailerons AND the elevator halves move together) but no real need for an Ultimate..

I use the ailevator function for any plane with 2 elevator servos and then just zero out the aileron travel.....
Old 04-13-2006, 10:26 PM
davesteemke

Thanks 4 the replies, i tried activating ailevator function, but one side would move in opposite direction. saw it was set at +100% changed to -100%. Everything works. When using elevator everything is working as it should and when i add some aileron it acts like the ailerons do. Hope that makes sense. As to why, I figured it will manuveur better, are u saying it won't?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:35 PM
davesteemke

As to why, I mainly bought the 9CHP for my future helicopter purchase, but I've been flying r/c planes for 10 years now. When I buy something I like to use & play around with all of the options. I thought with the elevator halves moving in unison with ailerons, I'd have wicked performance. Though my specialty is Accounting not Aerodynamics! Moving Forward I also thought if the ailerons could act like flaps (on 1 of the switches) it might help with slow landings. I know it increases drag but doesn't it increase lift also? That got me thinking about an airbrake option maybe the aileron's could come up and the elevator could come down a little for some high speed dives.. I don't know just trying new things. Can u offer some ideas on why not to do it? I've never owned or flew a biplane before, so i really don't know. My girl say's I overkill everrything! Is this another instance?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:00 AM
daveopam

Dave, I said it's not needed because the ULT has a great roll rate. It may roll faster with the ailevator. I think it may barrel roll a little though. I would get used to flying the plane and mix a little at a time. Maybe 10% increments.
I also feel the last thing you want on an ULT is more drag. If you want to use flaps for tight loops go for it. I would not use them on landing. If your CG is correct it will land slow enough. The ULT is a great plane,under power. If it dies it's another story. I mention this because the low rate ELEV in the book will not hold the nose up if the engine dies. Especially with the added weight of a smoke system.
I have a spoileron mix on mine. When the elevators go up all four ailerons go up. I use this to do a trick called an elevator. It is basically when the plane drops straight down with the nose and tail horizontal. This is fun but be careful with this mix. The plane is not real stable if you try and fly out with the mix on. For this reason I have that mix on the trainer switch. That way I can let go of the switch at any time and fly out.
I have two other mixes but they are used for knife edge flight only. I switch them with the elevator dual rates.
I might mention my CG point. It is 3" back from the leading edge of the bottom wing next to the fuse with the plane inverted. (the bottom wing will be on top when inverted)
Sorry to ramble on but let my conclude by saying. Have fun. Your on the right track. Once you have some flights on the plane try everything. Just try it at 400' the first time.

David
Old 04-14-2006, 11:58 PM
davesteemke

thanks u so much. i didn't think u were rambling at all. If u've got some more info on the ultimate and Computer Radio's ,I'm all ears. I've picked up alot of good stuff on this forum. I'm sure it will make my first biplane flight a little easier. This so far has been my best and most expensive plane. I've spent alot of time on it and don't want to damage it for some stupid reason.
Thanks Again,
Dave
Old 04-15-2006, 09:20 AM
daveopam

Dave you are going to love this plane. I have owned one for the last 10 years. IMHO it is "THE" plane everyone should own. It is not difficult to fly under power. So make sure the engine is reliable. Also I don't know if you have the smoke system in yet or not. If not I would mount all the parts to it on ply tray. Then screw the tray in the fuse. This way it can be put in and out in a few minutes.
I am at work today. When I have time at home I will send you my 9C radio set up. It may be a good starting point.

David