Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Coverite 21 century cub paint doesn't match

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Coverite 21 century cub paint doesn't match

Old 04-13-2006, 09:19 PM
bkyrdflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coverite 21 century cub paint doesn't match

I just bought a Sig 1/5 scale J3 cub from a friend. He covered the plane in 21 century fabric which is supposed to be cub yellow. It looks brighter than any cub yellows I am used to. The only real problem however is that he painted the cowl and other parts with coverite cub yellow paint and it doesn't match. Not even close. It appears to be closer to a true cub color but looks bad next to the covering. Has anyone else had this problem? I need to find a matching paint without buying a lot of cans that will end up not matching. I bought two today and struck out. Thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 09:49 PM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Coverite 21 century cub paint doesn't match

I think the problem is the basecoat which should be white. Yellow does not cover very well. I had the very same problem when I tried to paint over gray on my ARF Stearman with Lustercoat. Also spray cans are low solids so they do not cover well.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:05 AM
bkyrdflyer

Thanks, that could be it .
Old 04-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Campy

If you want an EXACT match do the following:

Have a base coat of white or silver (yes that is correct, silver).

Take a sample of the color to a paint store and have them mix a quart of latex paint (cost is about $8 - $10 ).

After the parts are painted, let them "cure" for about 7 - 10 days, then clear coat them to protect them from the glow fuel.

Here is a basic "How To" for using latex paint.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
Ki20352.txt (2.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-14-2006, 10:32 PM
sebo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a white primer and, when done, the covering, cowl, struts and landing gear were a perfect match. I tried grey primer initially, too...not even a close match. Ron

Any time that you are dealing with light colors, use a base of white primer. Even with white paint it makes all the difference in the world. Reds, oranges, light blues and greens, are all much brighter with a white primer.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:57 PM
bkyrdflyer

Ok then ,I have a project for this weekend. Everything I have had so far has been ARFs so I haven't had to deal with matching paints and some of the other hurdles of kit building yet . This is helpful advice I'll pick up some white primer and see how it goes. One other thing. As I mentioned, the 21 century fabric cub yellow on this plane is quite different than the Ultracoat I have on my other models with it being a little more of a brighter yellow. Has anyone else found this to be true?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:10 PM
sebo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 yellows. One is more of a chartruse. I used Cub yellow.
By the way, if you have some white primer around (any kind) try it on a scrap piece of anything. Then put a coat of your Coverite paint on it. Many primers work. And if it does, you will see the end result and know if the paint matches the covering.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:42 AM
khodges

I have a can of that Cub yellow Coverite paint. Tough paint, but it doesn't cover worth a damn. When you paint something, the color gets yellower, but stays translucent and you can still see what's under it. I use it on prop tips, it seems to resist chipping better than other paints.

You might want to try H-9 Ultracoat paint. It is acrylic enamel, fuelproof, and covers pretty well. Takes about three days to fully dry, though. I bought the bright yellow, trying to match yellow Solartex, and it was as close to exact as you can get without custom mixing.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:59 AM
bkyrdflyer

OK thanks I'll let you know how it turns out.