Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what will happen in the future for r/c?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what will happen in the future for r/c?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 05:06 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what will happen in the future for r/c?

what are your thoughts of radio control planes and fields will happen in the future? i have a concern for my field i only drive 15 min. out to fly called space city rc love the place but im wondering due to development the field would get an offer to sell for houses and facilities for industry folks. i dont want to drive over an hour since the gas prices are up so high ( i drive an F-150) and do you think they will com down or not in the next year or so? what kind of technology do you think the planes will have? i like to hear from some "experts" out there.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:36 PM
carrellh

Default RE: what will happen in the future for r/c?

I’m no expert on anything. Not sure who qualifies as one for these questions.

I doubt gas prices are coming down. I would love to be wrong. I also drive a full size truck with V8 engine. It’s paid off; can’t buy and operate a new economy vehicle, that will carry my planes, cheaper than putting gas in the truck. I drive 45 miles each way to the flying field. If it gets to the point I can’t afford to drive out there I’m out of RC.

Many clubs are losing fields due to development and are moving farther away.

Electric park flyers and indoor flyers may be the future. If so, I’m out. Those models do not interest me.

We have enough wind in Dallas almost every day to make it where I wouldn’t feel safe flying a park flyer in the parks around here. Too many kids, pets, joggers, etc all the time. Accidentally hit anyone and you’ve got a lawsuit to deal with and possibly criminal negligence charges. No thanks. This obviously would be worst case scenario but the possibility is there.

Indoor flying. You have to find a place big enough that is willing to let you fly. Chances are that will have an hourly rate attached. And you have to be a good enough pilot to avoid the ceiling and walls. I’m not that good.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:12 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Well Guys,
The future of gas powered R/C models is up to us, the people who fly gas powered R/C planes, jets and heli's.
I have been flying for 28 years. Iv'e flown at alot of different fields.
In that time I have only lost 2 flying fields.

One was shut down because of noise complaints.
As a club, we found another field about 4 miles from the one we lost. It's been 13 years and were still their.

The other club lost their field because a golf course bought the land we had been leasing for over 50 years!
That was a tough loss! But, again, we found another field about 5 miles away. Still there 1o years later.

So, it is up to you! Get involved with clubs. Promote Fly-Ins, get the public out to see how much fun this is.
Get kids hooked on it. Hey, it kept me out off the streets as a kid. Now I have a full scale aviation career and still fly models.

If you don't want to make the exra effort, then you may as well pack it up, sell all your stuff and take up golfing...............

By the way, don't discount electrics. They get me through my luch break.....................
Doug
Old 04-16-2006, 08:21 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My thoughts are : Electrics will be everywhere - less and less glow engines (sadly) and gas burners will be outlawed because B&Stratton will lose their fight against the Feds.

But electrics will be BIGGER and BETTER than they are today. More 1/3 and 40% powered models that won't cost you a mortgage payment!

Just my $.02 worth....and you get what you pay for!!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 08:42 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

damn i would love to have an aviation career and still fly model planes shoot
Old 04-16-2006, 09:17 PM
firstplaceaviator

quote]ORIGINAL: CRAZYRYAN
damn i would love to have an aviation career and still fly model planes shoot
[/quote]

If you think that is good....
I live on an airport. My shop is in my back yard!
I have to walk a whole 75 Ft. to work every day!

OK, I dont' want to sound like it is the best thing in the world.
My shop is really good at loosing money. There have been times that I didn't get a paycheck for weeks on end.
It is very discouraging when you do payroll for the employees, and there is nothing left for you...........
Some days, I have to remind myself that I really do have it made!

Doug

Old 04-16-2006, 09:24 PM
firstplaceaviator

Your right Tailskid.

Electrics are getting faster, bigger and better every day.
And, the prices keep coming down.

Now we can add the possibilty of serious electrocution to our hobby!

As a matter of fact, I believe this to be the second most lethal development in modeling, during my life.
Getting hit with a 250 MPH tubine being the first!

All kidding aside: Whatever you fly, ALWAYS PUT SAFETY FIRST!!!!!

Doug
Old 04-17-2006, 01:50 AM
redfox435cat

the future of the sport/hobby is entirely up to it's population. if we go it alone it will die and we'll loose all our fields, at least in the larger cities. We have lost a a couple fields here, they were in high profile areas and one was just destined to be lost, but their are enough ranchers and open public areas and now with the EPA opening up land to rc fields, rc fields will exist for at least our lifetime