Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Super Tiger engines

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Super Tiger engines

Old 04-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Super Tiger engines

The way an engine , any engine is broken in will determin it's power output AND life span.

This is especially true with ABC engines as opposed to "ringed" engines.

Gas engines like Zenoah and the more expensive BME take a very long time to brake in.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Thanks for the explanation on the baffle.

I do have a question for all the ST fans in here. It seems as though everyone is saying that they are the best engines made. However, the one common remark is that they are very reliable "after the long break in". Why would someone want to buy an engine which is more work to setup and configure the right settings and unreliable during this process? I mean, after all using an unreliable engine during the break in is definitely increasing risk as you increase your chances of a dead stick.

Why wouldn't someone just go with something like an OS which seems to be a more "out of the box and go" type of engine? I even had a thunder tiger as my first engine at that thing ran great (until it took a nose dive into a local farmers field).

Just curious?!
The engines are very reliable during break in as well you just have to take your time and keep it rich. And the break in is not all that long. For a ringed engine I generally run it close to an hour before taking it up then I finish the break in in the air. Its not really that much work. Like someone already posted if you take care of it your ST will run forever. Ringed engines are none for their longevity.

The reason I would buy a ST 90 rather than an OS is that it cost $120 NIB as oppossed to $200 for an OS 90. That $80 or so dollars is worth a little extra break in time to me. I dont have anything against an OS 90 and know they are great engines but if I can save $80 and still get a good engine I am going to do. If Thunder Tiger made a 90 I would be first in line to buy one. In fact all the engines I have are either Magnum, ST, or TT. All economy engines. I just cant bring myself to pay premium dollar for OS, Saito, etc. Sure those are some great engines with great features but for me I am perfectly happy with my more economical engines on cheap low nitro fuel! Its all about stretching those hobby dollars!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM
nickj

Agreed. ST engines come from the factory with the low end set rich. Transition isn't very smooth at that setting, and you can't really change it until the engine's broken in, because a new engine won't hold a good idle at a leaner setting. For this reason, trying to smooth the transition on a new ST can be frustrating, leading some to think the engine is finicky. However, after the first gallon of fuel, you can start leaning out the low end 1/8 turn at a time, and you'll soon have a strong, reliable engine.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:49 PM
jim.thornton

When you say run a gallon of fuel through the engine to break it in or run it for an hour before taking it up. Are you talking full throttle? Half throttle? All in one shot, or do you run it 10 mins. at a time?

I only ST I owned was the .45... It was only $30 difference between that and the OS. I went with the ST and I thought I had broken it is but I guess I didn't. I ran quite a few tanks before the first take off. I was told to run it rich but when I did that it wasnt very responsive to the throttle changes. Then it would start to lean out and eventually dead stick when it got to about 1/2 a tank of gas.

Did I do it wrong?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Rod Bender

Super Tigre engines are to be broken in before any flight time. They are broken in at a rich FULL throttle, after 10 minutes, pinch the intake line for a second and release it. If you hear the rpm and pitch go up on your engine, you can lean it out 1\8 -1\4 turn. Run again at FULL throttle for another 10 minutes, and pinch the line again, if you get the same results, lean it out another 1\8-1\4 turn and run for another 10 minutes at FULL throttle. Keep doing this until the engine does not lean out or increase rpm when you pinch the line. Your engine is now ready for flight, but open the high speed needle back out at least 1\8 - 1\4 turn from your setting for several flights. Basically, fly your plane as rich as it can fly at first, and slowly lean it out flight after flight....... Greg
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 PM
jim.thornton

10 minutes and then pinch the fuel line. Once you determine if the rpm goes up should I turn it off let it cool down and then repeat? Or run for 10 minutes, pinch and adjust needle, keep running, pinch and adjust, and so on?

Is this the process that should be taken for any engine or just ST's?

JIm.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:22 PM
super tigre

Super Tiger engines are great,I have 5 of them.After break in they are very reliable,and they all have great power. I'ts the only two stroke engine I will buy
Old 04-21-2006, 05:20 AM
rastus21

Thanks for the replys fellas. I was gonna get a os 120 ax , but mabee i'll get a 23cc Super tigre and save quite a bit of cash. S T R E T C H I N those hobby bucks. I've quite a bit of experience with ic motors, but mostly under 15cc.

Cheers

Matt
Old 04-21-2006, 05:43 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

I love Super Tigre engines. However, they can be a pain to reset once the low end adjustment is turned. I believe Thunder Tiger engines are easier to tweek, run just as well, and are in the same price range. Good luck.

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 04-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Rod Bender

Flak has a point. These ST's are not beginner friendly on tuning. You really need to know what your changing on your settings and why as they are touchy with adjustments. Like that flight a few days ago after the 8-10yr idle period. It took me 3 short flights to get the high and low end "balanced" before it would truly perform like a ST. But after that it was turn and burn. I took it out again yesterday and had the whole field to myself. Tore up the sky, must have had 7 flights, and never touched the settings from the previous day. Finding that "sweet spot" on an ST can be frustrating, but when you get it, you will know it, nothing but power and flawless rpm acceleration... Greg
Old 04-21-2006, 01:37 PM
pt19 flyer

hi
these are great engines for the price. good reliable sport type engines. not the power of higher priced higher performace engines but good for average sport type flying. I have a st90 on a gp extra 300 and it performs well. have a st 61 on a 60 size super sportster and it does a very good job. think you would be happy with this brand. some say the older ones make I believe in Italy are better than the chinese version, but I don't know if there is really any difference. my 90 is the older version but the 61 in the newer versions. workmanship looks to be execellent on both.

good luck and happy flying
pt19 flyer
Old 04-22-2006, 03:53 AM
rastus21

ORIGINAL: pt19 flyer

hi
these are great engines for the price. good reliable sport type engines. not the power of higher priced higher performace engines but good for average sport type flying. I have a st90 on a gp extra 300 and it performs well. have a st 61 on a 60 size super sportster and it does a very good job. think you would be happy with this brand. some say the older ones make I believe in Italy are better than the chinese version, but I don't know if there is really any difference. my 90 is the older version but the 61 in the newer versions. workmanship looks to be execellent on both.

pt19 flyer
Thanks for the advice, Im building a GP Extra 300 64" span and thinking of a super tigre 23cc, would you recommend the 90? Plenty of vertical? Good combo?
Matt
Old 04-22-2006, 10:36 AM
pt19 flyer

hi
the st 90 performs very well with this plane, depends on how strong you want your vertical, my flying is calmer, don't go in much for high vertical performace. the 90 however provides plenty of power for the x300. by 23cc I assume you mean the st2300. this is going up two steps in power 90 to 2000 to 2300. I think the 2300 would give you unlimited vertical. don't think they make the 2000 any longer. I'm very happy with the sp90 on mine.

pt19 flyer
Old 04-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Rod Bender

Matt,

I am awaiting an extra 300S 64" also, but for the style of this planes performance, most guys put a 4 stroke on it. A lot of vertical climb, thrust, a 91 or a 100-110 4 stroke would be ideal. Tomato, tamato either way will work, its all user optional...... Greg
Old 04-22-2006, 10:59 AM
pt19 flyer

hi rod bender

you know, I have the same problem with everyone landing when I start flying but noone will tell me why. I've even had some pack up and go home. do you know why they would do this. if so let me know, or maybe not, might not want to know. ha! ha!

pt19 flyer
Old 04-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Rod Bender

lol...PT,

Since noticing this, I try to wait till everyone has landed before I go up. Very few will take off if I'm still in the air, but more so if I take off with planes in the air, they all usually land within minutes.

I can't figure it out either, maybe its the colors of my plane? the sound of a screaming ST? My club is an early club, meaning most guys leave by 11:30 12:30, something to do with discounts at sizzler

I show up around 10:30 -11:00 and mingle with the guys, but by 12:30, the club is mine, I can fly and do whatever I want. This past Thursday I didn't have an appt till 3:30pm, so I had to stay at the field to kill time. Bummer......

Greg
Old 04-22-2006, 12:16 PM
pt19 flyer

ok gotcha

are we lucky or what???? one thing I have I bet you don't it has been stated that I fly the ugliest airplanes in the club.

happy flying alone

pt19 flyer
Old 04-22-2006, 11:50 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have five Super Tigre engines two of which are round heads, if any of you go back that far. I don’t do any breakin on ABC engines, I install onboard glow on the plane then go fly. As the engine starts to loosen up the engine will go rich, and I lean it out. Usually this process is over by flight 30 but can stretch to flight 50. If I go ten flights without any loosening up I remove the on board glow.

I have a few O.S. 2 cycles they can be run out of the box without onboard glow. After they finish loosening up the owner has to remove a head schim they add at the factory to detune the motor to make idle during breakin as reliable as possible. If left in place the Super Tiger is a much stronger engine, once removed they are about =.

PS My round heads are S-61K ABC’s that I paid $60 each for in 1978 with hundreds if not thousands of hrs on.

Joe.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
rastus21

Im sold, ST2300 for this Aussie
Just Itchin for the Extra to turn up, get on building.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:34 AM
rastus21

Well went out and got a G 2300, and I'm glad I did, started and idled beautifully 3rd flick. This makes me happy. As does the price, big savings over the Os ax 1.20.

Thanks for all the advice guys
Keep rockin
Matt
Old 04-29-2006, 01:55 AM
Ernie Misner

Jim, the engines that take longer to break in, like the ST and Enya, usually have harder cylinder liners. They last much longer in the long run, so it does make sense if you can find the time to break them in.

Ernie
Old 04-29-2006, 07:28 AM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

Can't beat the value for the power output in the .40-.51 sizes. I just put a Jett Stream muffler on my .51 and turned a 10x7 Master Airscrew at around 15,800 to 16,000 rpm on 10%. Quite a screamer, indeed. Haven't noticed any degradation in quality between the Italian and Chinese made. I exclusively fly with ST engines and have few complaints. I think their quality control should be reinforced, however. On two Italian made engines a few years ago, couldn't get a reliable idle or consistent high end. Tore apart both carburetors and to my surprise there were metal shavings in and around the barrel! Instant fix to my frustration. If compression starts slipping on the .51, get a new ring for a few dollars, wet hone the cylinder to a cross hatch with 600 grit and presto...practically a new engine for very little time and about ten bucks. Good power for the buck, and most of the parts are interchangeable in the smaller sport engines. I recommend them to all newcomers in my club.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:52 PM
fred123

I have 2 g90s and one g75. In my opinion, they are an amazing value. Completely reliable, easy to set up, and I consider easy to break in...I love the sound of a 4 stroke, but the super tigers sold me on 2 strokes...Fred123[&:]
Old 05-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Ernie Misner

Fred, what tips do you have for us on the G90's as far as fuel, plugs, and whatever else you might use. Are you running the muffler stock? Any rich midrange issues for you?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 07-30-2007, 08:02 PM
troposcuba

ok, now i'm confused. i have been having a tough time tryin to get the .45 ST someone gave me running. seems like it is fat on the low end. screams top end, but loads up and gets erratic after low throttle settings. won't transition well after that. now the reasone i am confused. in the engine manual, it says clockwise (in) is lean on the low speed adjustment screw. the ST question/answer page says all the way is is rich. if that is the case it is no wonder i can't seem to get it tuned right.

[link=http://www.supertigre.com/faq/product-faq.html#q22]ST faq[/link]

[link=http://manuals.hobbico.com/sup/sup-manual-v1_1.pdf]ST manual[/link]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.