Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Super Tiger engines

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Super Tiger engines

Old 07-31-2007, 06:28 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Super Tiger engines

ORIGINAL: troposcuba

ok, now i'm confused. i have been having a tough time tryin to get the .45 ST someone gave me running. seems like it is fat on the low end. screams top end, but loads up and gets erratic after low throttle settings. won't transition well after that. now the reasone i am confused. in the engine manual, it says clockwise (in) is lean on the low speed adjustment screw. the ST question/answer page says all the way is is rich. if that is the case it is no wonder i can't seem to get it tuned right.

[link=http://www.supertigre.com/faq/product-faq.html#q22]ST faq[/link]

[link=http://manuals.hobbico.com/sup/sup-manual-v1_1.pdf]ST manual[/link]

Setting a needle with the pinch test is dead simple. Even when you don't know which way to turn.

Do the pinch test and adjust the needle whatever way you think should work. Do the pinch test again, and if that direction helped, you've got the direction right. You'll also know if turning the needle that way richened or leaned. etc
Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know what the pinch test is?

Say you want to set the low-speed needle.
Warm the engine up, then run it wot to clear it out and to set the high-speed needle, then throttle to idle.
Let it idle for a few moments.
Pinch the carb fuel line closed and listen to the engine.

If it speeds up before dying, it was too rich.
If it runs without rpm change but stops suddenly, it was too lean.

Adjust the low-speed needle and test.

You want the pinch to cause the engine to very slightly increase rpm then die.
That way, you know the engine is safely rich on idle.

But you still test it one more time. Let it idle for a long time and then check the transition.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:06 PM
troposcuba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah man, i know the pinch test. i have tried that and all the other methods to dial this thing in. only problem is that unlike my other motors, this one shows no kind of consistency. it will run like it is set too lean and then really fat all on the same setting. that is why i think i have an intermittant air leak somewhere.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:04 PM
susquach
My Feedback: (1)

And another thing....ST's don't have those blasted O-rings on their needles to fail. I've taken a hard look at the new engines and can't find anything different between them and the Italian makes. Anybody else find a difference?????
Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
superflea

Make sure that spraybar is pointed straight down. Down the throat of the carb that is. If it isn't then it will act funny. A lot of ST problems can be fixed by just making sure this thing is in there correctly.
It has an elongated hole in the bar, the hole needs to be pointed straight down the venturi and not off to one side or the other or you will get rough transition and terrible idle.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 PM
troposcuba

thanks superflea, i did notice that it was not centered when i took it out. i just put it back in where it was. that could be the cause of my whole problem now that i hear that. the thing runs like a raped ape on the top end and idles nice an low and smooth, just can't seem to get that transition right and then it tends to load up trying to get back into the full throttle range. so new rubber parts, good cleaning of all carb parts and check for proper orientation of that spray bar orifice. i am confident (and i want to show the guy that gave me the motor so) that this thing has the potential to be a good motor. I love the top end power it makes. now if i can just tune it to where i trust it enough to thottle back without being scared of the thing dying on me.

so thanks everyone for the education on the mighty ST.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:08 PM
troposcuba

alright now i am confused again. I looked at the carb again last night. the opening in the spraybar faces directly away from the opening in the carb (toward the engine, not the open venturi of the carb). if i were to position it facing the opening in the carb, that would put my fuel nipple right in the prop. I took it all apart last night and found that the whole brass piece that houses the needles/spraybar/fuel fitting does not come apart aside from removing the needles. so am i just reading it wrong? if what is meant is to face the spraybar orifice directly toward the rear of the carb (toward the intake port of the engine), then i should be good.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:27 PM
pt19 flyer

hi

I have several super tigre engines 61's and a 90 which I am very happy. very good and reliable engines for the price.
try them you won't be disappointed.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 08-03-2007, 05:30 PM
pt19 flyer

hi

I am using the 90 on that plane, plenty of power. think you wuld like it

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 08-03-2007, 08:26 PM
superflea

alright now i am confused again. I looked at the carb again last night. the opening in the spraybar faces directly away from the opening in the carb (toward the engine, not the open venturi of the carb). if i were to position it facing the opening in the carb, that would put my fuel nipple right in the prop. I took it all apart last night and found that the whole brass piece that houses the needles/spraybar/fuel fitting does not come apart aside from removing the needles. so am i just reading it wrong? if what is meant is to face the spraybar orifice directly toward the rear of the carb (toward the intake port of the engine), then i should be good.

The elongated hole in the spray bar should be positioned so that you will not be able to see the hole by looking in to the venturi. That should place nipple pointing back and not toward the prop. that hole in the spray bar will be pointed straight down towards the crank.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:13 PM
troposcuba

ORIGINAL: superflea

The elongated hole in the spray bar should be positioned so that you will not be able to see the hole by looking in to the venturi. That should place nipple pointing back and not toward the prop. that hole in the spray bar will be pointed straight down towards the crank.
alright. that ends the confusion. that is the case with mine. didn't get a chance to try it this weekend as i was 80' under water blowing bubbles. but should get a chance tomorrow. thanks
Old 08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Rod Bender

Good Luck
Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 PM
troposcuba

well, i got a chance to tune on it some more yesterday. it runs great on the ground. I ran a couple tanks through it after i got it dialed in. it took some fiddling with low and high end to get it right, but it seems to run very well now on the ground. i didn't get a chance to fly it yet, so we will see how that goes when i get the chance.

thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:38 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

I recently transplanted an OS 46AX and replaced it with a .45 ST.....It took me a bit to get it started because it was tight....but after I got it going....The engine is GREAT ...especially for the price. Pulls hard...so far reliable idle.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:29 PM
vancouverman

I have a ST 45 abc and love it. Monster power for the size. It does require small periodic adjustments of the low speed needle but just move it a really tiny bit.

Jay
Old 08-12-2007, 01:04 AM
troposcuba

flight report: with a little tweaking of the low and high speed needles today, I got the best results i have seen yet out of this engine. It always ran pretty well wide open but untill now had no consistancy on the low end and had problems transitioning after the throttle was chopped for any length of time. today, it ran great! i could idle for a long time and punch it and it didn't even hiccup. finally got to explore the stall characteristics of this plane. mostly done with the benefit of lots of altitude (due to my lack of confidence in the engine till now). there was one incident with the beans next to the runway today, but that was due to dumb thumbs, not the engine for a change. no damage, so i was right back at it afterwards.

to summarize, i think my problem was mostly with the orientation of the spraybar orifice. it was no where near centered to start out. now that I put it where it should be and then adjusted low and high end, this things runs great! bummer that none of my buddies that have seen me struggle with this engine were there to see it scream today. they will be surprised for sure next time they are there though.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:03 PM
OCR99
My Feedback: (3)

All good info i bought a 75 suuper tiger used it has a perry carb no pump haveing a little problem high speed, doese perry carb have to have pump?

Thank you
Rick
Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got one of the ringed .51 STs and it's been a workhorse. I've heard older club members bemoan that the older Italian ones were better, but I can't speak to that. I had an Italian ST .25 briefly maybe 25 years ago and sold it with the model (on a trainer). The ringed piston was pretty much stable after the third tankful.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Bearnc1
My Feedback: (2)

I have a ST .75 that has been through two Great Planes 60 sticks. It has been a very good motor. Cranks on a flip or two and hardly ever needs a carb adjustment. It had a lot of time on it and is going to power something else someday.
Tom
Old 10-20-2007, 04:39 PM
shaunmichaeljohnson

hi guys!
i am looking at these engines that thewy have at the LHS they are the super tigres but i want to get the ringed .40

long life and i think that they are a bit more forgiving than the abc angines.
i have no expirience in glow engines above a .26 (cox .049, os max .20 etc) so any pro's and con's, tips and pointers are appreciated.

shaun
Old 10-20-2007, 07:23 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the ST 40 is what you want then go for it. They are the greatest value of all time.

The recent ones I've seen in the last couple years run absolutely flawless

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFV69&P=ML
Old 10-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS 40 is a great engine, and you can not buy more engine for the money . It well take about a gallon of fuel thru it, before it really starts to shine.
I have 2 of them on trainers , that get a lot of run time , they sip fuel and run and run and run.