Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dual servo question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dual servo question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:34 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual servo question

I have a 6 channel radio I am tryin to get the dual servos on my elevator working correctly. Righ now I have them pluged into channel 2 and 6 and mixed the two
The servos work in sink with each other, but when I go to trim my elevator servo only the one on channel 2 works with the trim slide. not the one that is pluged into chaneen 6. If I got a dual servo reverser will the trim on both of my servos work with the trim slide for channel two?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:55 PM
redfox435cat

Default RE: Dual servo question

yes the duel servo reverse with trim both. the problem is the the programming isn't set to trim channel 6. This capability isn't available until you get into like the 9C series radios.

the best way now-a-days to do duel servos with a standard radio is a pair of hitec digital servos and the hitec digital servo programmer. The problem with the duel servo reverser is the servos will be very difficulty to get to match each others movements
Old 04-20-2006, 09:01 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Tell us what make and model of transmitter you have. With the JR 10X transmitter for example, there is a setting that you tell the mix whether to include trim in the mix. However, with some transmitters, this is not possible. I have flown airplanes where the mix only works on one side and they work fine. You set the elevators to match each other at neutral. Fly the plane and adjust the elevator trim. Let's say that after you land you see the left elevator is slightly up. You add a little up trim to the right elevator (by unscrewing the clevis) until it is also a little up. Now fly again. As long as the two elevator halves are close you will never know the difference. You might think that with one elevator a little higher or lower than the other that you would get some rolling action. But in my experience this does not happen. At least not enough that I can detect it.

If you use a reversing "Y" connector, the trim will obviously affect both servos, so this is in some ways a better solution. Personally, I'd leave it the way it is and avoid the reversong "Y cable. One more thing to go wrong.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:09 PM
phjoker

I have the futuba 6exas radio
Old 04-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An ordinary Y-harness should work.. why would you need to reverse one?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:03 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

If the servos are mounted on the fuselage sides, one needs to rotate clockwise and the other needs to rotate counterclockwise. So you need either a programmable servo or a reversing "Y" harness. Or do as I suggest and use two channels on the receiver and don't worry about the trim. And there is another choice. You can put one servo above the elevator on the left and the other servo below the elevator on the right. I have done this on my latest profile (OMP Edge) and it also works well.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:44 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Yup...you need a reversed servo.

See if anyone at your club is handy with a soldering iron. Most non-digital servos can be reversed manually.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:02 PM
phjoker

the servos are mounted on a servo tray inside the fuse.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Tall Paul

All you need then is to have the servo arms pointing in the same direction, and a conventional Y-harness.
The bottom setup in this drawing.. Note the elevators are rotated out-of-plane in the drawing for clarity.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72378.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	448765  
Old 04-21-2006, 12:26 AM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When a Y-harness is used to control two servos, is the voltage to each servo get cut in half?
That is, does each servo operate at half power?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Fredsterman

Have you tried turning one of the servos 180 degrees in its mounting location?
That should,( I think), mechanically reverse the travel direction, without messing with the wiring or radio settings.
The reversed side will need longer control rods though.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:10 AM
redfox435cat

When a Y-harness is used to control two servos, is the voltage to each servo get cut in half?
no, its all wired in parallel so everything has the same voltage.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
phjoker

Thanks For aal the help guys!!!!! I was able to cut another servo hole in the fuse I moved the one servo over to the other side got the servo horns on the same side put in a y and it works fine. Thanks again for all the answers.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:58 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: Fredsterman

Have you tried turning one of the servos 180 degrees in its mounting location?
That should,( I think), mechanically reverse the travel direction, without messing with the wiring or radio settings.
The reversed side will need longer control rods though.

the ONLY thing that will do is require a longer control rod, common sense ought to tell you it will NOT reverse the servo. Now if you were to flip it over (top to bottom) it would reverse it but makes it a bit difficult to install that way.

kc
Old 05-05-2006, 01:42 PM
KojakDave

I think he meant to reverse the servo arm. In other words, when the control input is given the arm would push, but if the arm were on the opposite side of the servo when the same input is given, it would pull.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:03 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Voltage is the same but current is double through the common leg of the Y. So that leg has to carry double the current than if you used a single extension with it's own servo channel.

ORIGINAL: IL2windhawk