Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Remedy for fuel soaked balsa?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Remedy for fuel soaked balsa?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:59 PM
MoNKEyZQ8
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remedy for fuel soaked balsa?

Im recovering my CUB, in some spots there is a sticky glue type substance, I believe it is from the exhaust from the 2-stroke motor.

Is there anything I can use to dry it, or am I going to have to cut it out?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:09 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Remedy for fuel soaked balsa?

Some guys have used the KR2 spot remover with good success...
Old 04-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Not24

What I have done is used a monokote iron and a paper towel. The heat brings the oils to the surface and the towel soaks it up. Just heat it up thru the towel till the towel no longer gets stained. It takes quite a bit of heat, but this has worked for me.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:55 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The K2R is a good remedy if you can find it. Sometimes finding it can be a bit spotty.

If you can't find the K2R you can use kitty litter too. Find a box that is big enough to put the fuselage in and cover the affected area with kitty litter. Twice a day take the fuselage out and heat the affected area with a heat gun, then return it to the box, making sure you stir around the litter as you put it back in. Keep this up for about a week, or until you can see no more oil coming out when you heat it. Now you can clean off the litter dust and recover the plane.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 04-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I have use just plain old baking soda,it draws the old fuel out about as good as anything i have found.I haven't tried the heat trick with it but it can't hurt to try .Also I have been told that spray and wash works but I've never used it.good luck I know it can be a pain in the rear .
Old 04-27-2006, 03:17 AM
skOOby

I've also used talcum powder to good effect...
Old 05-08-2006, 07:16 AM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

Before you try all the de-oiling tricks mentioned, check it for being punky (aka fuel rot) by sticking a pin or othe probe into that area. If it's rotted, cut it out and replace it with new wood. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corn starch also works well. Sprinkle it on the area and rub it in. Let it sit for an hour or two, brush off and repeat. I have had good luck with K2R and the corn starch method (the other methods are good also). It will take several applications to get the residue out.

If the wood is still good (not punky), put a coat of Balsarite or SIG StixIt over the area before recovering. It will help the covering to adhere to that area.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K2r is in most of the grocery stores around here. Might be around there too.

Oil soaked balsa is going to be soft, rotten or not. But cutting out oil soaked wood as suggested for oil rotted wood works just as good for either. And it takes no time to do, way less than a trip to the grocery store.

I have used K2r and it works great. Usually only takes a few applications. It has an ingredient that displaces the oil (no idea what it is) and an ingredient that will attract that oil (the powder that holds it). It works faster and better than most other methods, other than hacking and replacing, that is.

CA works great to strengthen the reclaimed balsa. There is also a BONDO product sold at home improvement stores that is sold to "fix" rotten wood. It works well too.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:01 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

I have use just plain old baking soda,it draws the old fuel out about as good as anything i have found.I haven't tried the heat trick with it but it can't hurt to try .Also I have been told that spray and wash works but I've never used it.good luck I know it can be a pain in the rear .
I have also used baking soda, but with thin ca. My way probably doesn't get the oil out of the wood, but it allows me to make a repair or seal my monokote.