Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Polks Hobbies Tracker Radios

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Polks Hobbies Tracker Radios

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Black Drape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polks Hobbies Tracker Radios

Hey Guys,
Have any of you tried one of these Tracker radios. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had any experience with them.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 04-28-2006, 11:22 AM
carrellh

Default RE: Polks Hobbies Tracker Radios

There are several existing threads on these radios. Like anything, some like them and some do not. I've seen a Tracker 3 at our club. It looks a little bigger than some transmitters and I've heard it called "ugly" and "not very ergonomic" but those are subjective views.

Getting to hold a radio, antenna extended, with strap or tray if you use one, just like you would while flying; is the best way to determine if it's right for you.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Tracker II radio (Tracker III is the latest model).

I am quite happy with the radio. When I first got it I had a minor problem with one model number that I could not work out. Called Polks and they said to send it in. From the time I mailed it out until it was back was 8 days. That is what I call a FAST turn around. The people at Polks do not give you any run around or bullsh*t when you call. They are friendly and helpful.

Except for that one thing the radio has performed flawlessly. I use this radio all the time now. My Futaba and HiTec are just sitting gathering dust (batteries removed of course). I have not used either of them in close to two years.

What I really like about the radio is that it will not turn the transmitter part on if there is anyone else operating on that channel. The radio will work on ANY channel with ANY receiver irreguardless of shift. Their Seeker receivers are also great. Again, works on ANY channel with ANY transmitter. Add to this their 5 year warranty, and IMHO, you have a really great package.

The radio is not as well known as the other brands (JR, Futaba, HiTec, etc. ) however it is a quality radio. You will not go wrong with this radio. For the little difference in price I suggest the 8 channel instead of the 6 channel.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

My father and brother both fly with Tracker II transmitters, the predecessor to the T-III. They both had some minor teething issues with the transmitters(one had a power switch that was defective, and one had an issue with the throttle gimbal), but Polk's was very good in gettting the problems solved and getting the transmitters back in my father and brothers hands. There have been no problems with them since, and they both like the transmitter very much.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Black Drape

Hey Guys,
Have any of you tried one of these Tracker radios. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had any experience with them.
Thanks,
Ron
My Tracker II worked flawlessly. I knocked it off the table to the concrete floor, everything went bad, I sent it in. They sent it back repaired free, free freight. Works flawlessly to this day. I called about the fee, John Gil explained it was no big deal for them to fix them free. Okay... I ordered a Tracker III.

The Tracker III had a glitch as delivered, if I remember correctly #1 channel would not move correctly, just jittered. Sent it in, they sent it back fixed and it works without flaw. I've used it on a sport plane and on the trainer I use for instruction, with buddy box.

Tracker III is a keeper, it has alpha naming for planes and the trainer connection, both lacking in the Tracker II. I'll probably sell the Tracker II, or my Prism Spectra.

There is a thread on RCU by a guy who had some Tracker III issues, apparently was unsatisified, and Polk's refunded his money. I'm satisfied with both versions.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 04-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Black Drape

Thanks Guys,

I really appreciate the info. I will order mine this weekend.

Ron
Old 04-29-2006, 09:29 AM
CoosBayLumber

Dunno how old you are, but I find the programming part of the new instructional sheet a bit confusing or misleading. When adjusting for a Non-Polks receiver, this leads to a lot of extra beeps on the buttons, and then comparing to what the booklet mentions. Everything works good afterwards, but it just seems to take a bit too much time to get going when using one of the foreign receivers. I think they need to do a re-write of the booklet.

And, I don't think they are offering any six channel transmitters. When ordering you get an eight channel unit, but a six channel receiver.

And keep it short. John has a tendency to talk on and on and on. You telephone bill will be more than for the radio.

Wm.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:56 PM
VR1000

I recently switched to the Tracker 3 from a Futaba 7CAP. Nothing wrong with the futaba. I have about 25 planes with about half a dozen radios, including several with Skysports and Hitek trainers, and I was wanting to ad a cam pack (Memory module) to my Futaba 7CAP and change crystals to reduce the number of transmitters, but our local hobby shop wanted $ 30 for the cam pack, and $ 12 each for crystals.
I was looking at about $ 180 to change over to all on channel 47.

I had seen the Polks radio ads in Model Aviation magazine for several years, so I ordered a system, with the Seeker receiver, and 10 extra servos.

The programing is a little different, but nothing that was difficult to pick up. The Tracker 3 stores 99 planes in it, and has a couple of great features that I have not seen before. My favorite is the scanner feature. I also really like the synthesized freq. feature. We have a new club member whose radios are on 47, (my primary Freq) so it is not a problem to change to a different channel if he is flying also.

It looks different than the Futabas and JR's, but so far, we have several other club members that have or are switching from Futaba and JR to the Tracker radio. Don't let the looks and lack of flashy plastic fool you. This is an OUTSTANDING VALUE on a radio system.

I bought the complete system with transmitter, RX, battery pack, switch harness, and one included servo, and 10 extra servos, and 1 extra receiver, for about $ 320 shipped.

I am happy enough with it, that I have recently sold my Futaba 7CAP on ebay.

If you are serious about performance, and want to impress your flying buddies with your intelligence instead of a flashy radio, try the Tracker, you will be VERY satisfied.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

I have both the T-II and T-III, great affordable computerized radios. Both have worked flawlessly. They can operate any FM receiver, + or - shift. The T-III can also operate a JR rx. As stated some of the instructions in the manual are a little difficult to understand, but there is a forum on Polk's site that has answers to all questions and problems. The included scanner will not let you use a busy channel and is very sensitive to any signal on any of the frequencies. You can't take mine away ever. 99 model memory, model naming with the T-III and a price much lower than the big guy's.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 PM
RVman

I also have one, it has worked well for the past year, i agree that their service is excellent, i had mine in for the early gimbal problems which they fixed up and for updating. Just had it go back because i dropped it and wanted it checked out. I'm happy with it.

Tom
Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 PM
saramos

I used to be a big proponent of the Tracker radio. I love the concept and the price for an 8 channel radio couldn't be beat.

BUT

After loosing 3 planes to uncommanded movements, no more. I will never trust or recommend the Polk again. Also, it appears that Polk is now ignoring their support forum.

Scott
Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: saramos

I used to be a big proponent of the Tracker radio. I love the concept and the price for an 8 channel radio couldn't be beat.

BUT

After loosing 3 planes to uncommanded movements, no more. I will never trust or recommend the Polk again. Also, it appears that Polk is now ignoring their support forum.

Scott
I also had the same probem as Scott with a Seeker 8 receiver I sent it
in for repair and it came back in the same condition. Also many others
have posted on the various forums about problems with the polk radios.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:56 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

I've a Tracker III and have been very satisfied with it. It's a darn good radio and the scanning feature is great.
John