Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dead Glow Fuel?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dead Glow Fuel?

Old 04-29-2006, 08:18 AM
NewFlyerGlenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Glow Fuel?

Does glow fuel die? If I have a tightly closed partial gallon of glow fuel that is 3 years old, is the fuel dead?
Old 04-29-2006, 09:10 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dead Glow Fuel?

I buy cases at a time and have had on occasion burned some older fuel. I have found that as long as the fuel was kept in a climate controled setting say 60 to 75 degrees F', there doesn't appear to be a problem. However I would avoid fuel that has been kept at extreme temps. especially heat. If your fuel has been stored in an enclosed shed on 95 or 100 degree days or in direct sunlight I would consider it suspect. Maybe others here can share their experiences on long term storage I may have just been lucky. I do shake the fuel to make sure no oils have separated prior to use although i'm not sure that is an issue.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:15 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

I have used fuel that was much older than yours and I agree with wildwilly that if it has been stored out of the sun and heat it should be fine. Try it on a known good running engine on a break-in stand and if it runs ok then use it if not keep it to wash parts in or kill the weeds in your driveway.
FEB
Old 04-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have fuel that is going on 5 years old. The UNOPENED jugs have been stored in my basement. The jug I opened last year was good as new.

As the others have said, as long as the fuel has been stored in a climate controled area (50 - 70 degrees ) and out of the direct sun (different stories on that issue) it should be fine. If you have any doubts, run a tank or 2 through the engine on a test stand (or on the ground).
Old 04-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have also used fuel that was many years old and it worked fine. It was in sealed metal cans but had gone through many temperature cycles including Ohio winters and California Desert conditions. As long as it was well sealed, it should be okay.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:43 PM
NewFlyerGlenn

Thanks for the quick reponse. I'll give it a try. It's been in my dark basement at about 65 degrees the whole time, so it's probably good.