Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

OK Model's Pilatus Porter

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OK Model's Pilatus Porter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:22 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OK Model's Pilatus Porter

Has anyone built and flown this model. I know that MRC is the importer for OK but they do not show it. Contacted OK in Japan and they will ship it for 50,000 yen. That is a lot of yen!

Have one of the original Altech models and she is showing her age.

Jim
Old 05-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Mad Mad Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OK Model's Pilatus Porter

Ouch, 50,000 Yen is US$ 460!! Wow. I am also looking for a Pilatus Turbo Porter. I e-mailed MRC last year. They do carry OK Models, but not the Porter. I tried to find a Canadian OK distributor, but with any luck. I did find both an ARF and a kit of the Porter from a French company, see http://www.air-loisirs.com/en/cadrepreavion.htm. My e-mail attempts to this company have been unsuccessful. I gave up trying to find a kit or even an ARF. So I ordered plans for a 40-60 size Porter from the Australian magazine Airborne, see http://www.airbornemagazine.com.au/. Nice plans, but a few dollars to get it shipped to the US, but not 50,000 yen worth!

I almost forgot. I did find several hobby stores in England that have the Air Loisirs ARF Turbo Porter. But the cost of the ARF was higher than what I am willing to pay and that's before any shipping costs.

I would be most interested if you find a Turbo Porter, either having more success from either from Canada or the French company or from some othre source. Please let me know if you find a Turbo Porter, thnaks!

Rick

Old 05-13-2006, 09:46 AM
JimO

Thanks for the info Rick. FYI Mr. Aerodesign has the plans for this kit in 1/4 scale. I had thought to email him and ask if he can scale the dwgs down to a 65 to 90 size 4 stroke. I bought his Cessna and had Lazer Lizard cut out the kit. Nice work.

http://www.mraerodesign.com/

I also have a contact on Germany that is looking for the OK Kit. Will keep you informed if we can find it at a better price.

Jim

Old 05-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Mad Mad Max

Jim,

I fotgot about Mr. Aerodesign. I did look at his web site and some of the instructions, but the size kept me from doing anything.

Rick
Old 05-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Mad Mad Max

Jim,

Now my brain is getting back to working, there's a company that has a 98" wing span Platius Porter (not sure if it's the normal version or the trubo version). I'll e-mail the company and find out. Here's it site http://www.ikonnwst.com/

Rick

Old 05-15-2006, 10:08 AM
JimO

Rick, Have you seen this site. http://www.pilatus-enthusiasts.com.au/default.htm

Also Airbourne Mag has a profile version of the Porter. You can link from the address above

Jim
Old 05-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Mad Mad Max

Jim.

Yes to both, I have been to the Pilatus site many times and I did consider the profile model but wanted the full body. Someday, there will be a porter in my nitro covered hands!
Old 05-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Mad Mad Max

Found this site from a post within this forum.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...ch=Yes&sppp=12

Rick
Old 05-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Mad Mad Max

Jim,

Some 96" ARF models

http://shop.jamara-produkte.de/advan...eywords=pilatu

Rick
Old 03-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Closterman

I know this thread are old, but just for information, I have reduce the sixe of my PC-6 to 80" od wing span. You can fit easely a .60 or .90 4-stroke. They are not on my website for now but I will add it soon. The cowl plug are nearly finish and I will start the canopy this week-end. Contact me directly if you want some info !!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:27 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Guys, hold on here a minute. I posted a thread on a Porter from OK Models a couple of threads down. I am trying to get the new ARF Porter from OK but it's just not coming here to the states. I was directed to a site in Singapore for a possible connection to order one. So far, no return response from them yet, and that was sent Friday the 30 of this March. The OK Model site is in Japanese and I can't seem to make the change to english. I also have the old Altech ARF ready to fly [with flaps] but I'm so interested in the Porter, greed drive's me to want another. My Altech is nine years old, was sitting in the hobby shop for all that time in a back room. It's pretty much rare at this point so I want to be very careful with it. At this point, if you guys are interested in this thread, I'll stay in touch on it. MM
Old 03-31-2007, 09:13 AM
JimO

MormonMike,

I have the same Altech Porter and after flying her for Many years the Balsa is starting to dry out. She now hangs in the place of honor over the work bench and gives meaning to the next build. I have one of the VQ warbirds ARF's that will soon have all the Radio and Engine gear installed for summer flying. Was glad to hear the Closterman AKA Mr Aerodesign has reduced the size. I sent a PM asking about price and availability. No answer yet.

I did buld one of his Cessna's and the build was very stright forward. Will see about the Porter for the future.

Currently build a 72 in Air Tractor. My other love, Crop dusters..

Jim
Old 03-31-2007, 10:44 PM
EARLYWARNING
My Feedback: (1)

try mraerodesign.com
Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 AM
rkingmanila
My Feedback: (1)

i had one of the altech pilatus porters with a 70 four stroke in it. it was a heavy plane but i would have to say is one of the best planes i ever flew. it was my lazy day flyer, flew nice and slow without stalling. i even used to fly it while following gws tiger moths around the field. i had it until a fellow flyer flew a plane into my face, had to duck for cover and guess what happened next. I am from Manila, Philippines and these were where the Altechs were made. I know the person that built them personally but unfortunately, that Pilatus was the last of its kind down here. The templates of the original are gone so any hopes of getting one again are pretty slim. So those that have the Altechs, treasure these planes.

I also have my eyes set on the OK Model Pilatus, I would get one once I am able to confirm that this isnt the ones made like the EZ Arfs where there is a printed sheet with foam backing on it. Just a little bit too fragile for my taste.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Mark C
My Feedback: (26)

I have one of the Altech Pilatus Porters still in the Box if interested.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 AM
JimO

What are you asking for it?

JImO
Old 11-06-2007, 08:38 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

As for the OK Models Porter, unless your willing to pay a lot for shipping, forget it. I was'nt worried about the cost so I have one. I treat it like a baby and am very careful with it. As far as I know, it's the only one in the country. MRC is discontinuing distribution of OK. MM
Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Mark C

I'll take $100.00 plus shipping to your door. Thanks for asking. Mark
Old 12-15-2007, 01:11 PM
KenD
My Feedback: (65)

test
Old 12-15-2007, 01:13 PM
KenD

Test again, sorry for the bandwidth, but having a problem replying to posts.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:14 PM
KenD

Hi Mark, thanks again for the Porter!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Mark C

Your more than welcome glad you found one that you wanted. Did you ever figure out how to rate me on RCU. Mark
Old 01-29-2010, 04:40 PM
docendo

If you still have it, I need the instruction manual. Would be happy to pay for copying/shipping.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sent a reply to your want ad and then I saw I could attach the file here. So attachment.pdf is the pdf file of the Altech Pilatus Porter manual.

Also attached is a picture of mine. It is still flying today and it is a great flyer. It has a K&B 65 in the nose with a 12 x 6, 3 blade propeller. It has pull-pull on the rudder and oleo struts on the landing gear. Hard landings over time caused cracks in the fuse where the wire attaches to the top sides of the fuse. I fixed the cracks and put the oleo's on. The fuse is covered with Supershrink Coverite and the wings are glassed. The whole plane is painted and the lettering was airbrushed using stencils. The shield is a decal.

Have fun and good luck.
Bill

ORIGINAL: docendo

If you still have it, I need the instruction manual. Would be happy to pay for copying/shipping.