Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Epoxy - Is it Fuel Proof?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tower Hobbies Epoxy - Is it Fuel Proof?

Old 05-23-2006, 04:39 AM
Eastflight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tower Hobbies Epoxy - Is it Fuel Proof?

Good Day All,
Can someone please tell me if the Tower Hobbies branded Epoxy is Fuel Proof (I use nitro fuel).
Some repairs need to be carried-out around the engine area and I would like to be sure that the epoxy will not deteriorate over time.
Many thanks
Eastflight
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 AM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Hobbies Epoxy - Is it Fuel Proof?

I Have Never Found One That Was Not Fuel Proof.As Any Epoxy Or Glue It Wil Not Stick To A Fuel Covered Wood.If It Is Soaked The Wood must Be Replaced.
If The Expoy Cracks Then Fuel Can Seep In But Other Than That I Don't See A Problem.
As FAr As Time My Pllanes Don't Get Older Then A Few Years.My Oldest Is 3 Years Old.I Coated The Fire Wall And tank Aera With No problems
John
Old 05-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Eastflight

Thanks Transman for your response...I just want to be sure!
Cheers for now!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:47 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tower's epoxy is manufactured by somebody else. I'd bet they change the source now and again. That said..... epoxy is one of the best fuelproofing things we got no matter who made it.

However, there are different degrees of fuelproofing. What you want to do, epoxy is bulletproof.

But fyi, I coated some fuel line plugs with epoxy. The epoxy is exposed to pure fuel at the very tip obviously. But it also has fuel pressed against it by the grip of the fuel line. I've yet to find an epoxy that will live at the very tip of the plugs. All the plugs have had the epoxy "rot" off at the tip. Where the fuel line limits the amount of fuel exposure, that epoxy last longer. ... just fyi.........
Old 05-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Eastflight

Hi Darock
I am replacing the engine mount (spruce wood) which is in need of some TLC. I am also mounting a more powerful engine.
I have fuel-proofed the actual engine bearers but not where they join at the engine bulkhead. This is why I needed to know if epoxy is resistant to fuel as this area gets Gummed-up with burnt fuel over time (I use castor glow not a synthethic mix).
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can occasionally shoot some automotive brake cleaner on the areas where gunk builds up. Test it first on some scrap to be sure it doesn't damage your covering or paint as there are a couple of different formulas. I know some are safe for plastic, paint, etc.