Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hand Crank Fuel Pump Leaking

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hand Crank Fuel Pump Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 09:26 PM
CitationX
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Crank Fuel Pump Leaking

Is there anyone out there that has had even the most moderate of success with one of the gear driven hand crank fuel pumps? You know the kind I am talking about (see link).

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFAW2&P=ML

I recently built my own version of the Goldberg Fuel Tote and proceeded to put 2 of the Tower Hobbies pumps on it (see link).

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDKP7&P=7

It is a handy unit especially if you fly airplanes and helicopters and use 2 different types of fuel. I have never had any luck with electric style pumps because they start to leak after a while and I no longer use a flight box battery. The 2 pumps I put on the fuel tote are brand new and already they leak! The fuel drips at the splitline of the case halves right at the bottom portion of the pump. I took the entire assembly apart and there really is nothing that immediately jumps out as being the problem. There is nothing to these things for that matter. My question is has anyone found a solution for preventing the leaks in these things? I refuse to give up on them because they are convenient and pump a lot of fuel per revolution.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:13 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Default RE: Hand Crank Fuel Pump Leaking

Like you I've had problems with both electric and hand crank fuel pumps. I think the one I use now is called the six-shooter by Dave Brown. It isn't the fastest pump but if you turn it at a steady speed [not to fast] it works fine and mine have never leaked. I've sent back both tower and horizon brands and they replaced them but by the time you pay postage you could almost buy a new one.
Try the six-shooter if you want a hand crank that will last.
Fred
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Dsegal

> Is there anyone out there that has had even the most moderate of success with one of the gear driven hand crank fuel pumps? <

Years ago I had two Hobbico pumps that each failed on the second day of use. Replaced with a Hangar 9 pump and have never had a problem with it.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:38 AM
redfox435cat

I think I'm on my second hobbie co hand crank pump. first one lasted 2 yrs. I pulled it apart and turned the lid over and got to work for another 6 months before it seezed. Had the second for another year. I didn't like the 6 shooter. Had one years ago. The surgical tube in it gets hard and brittle and becomes hard to move any fuel. mine lasted like 9 months. May it's just the luck of the draw. I think I'll tryy the hangar nine one when this one goes. Didn't like the electric pump since you waste so much fuel
Old 05-26-2006, 01:49 PM
carrellh

Several guys in our club use this pump from K&S, available through Horizon.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=KSJ860
They all say it works best if you use "large" line versus "medium."

I use a Sullivan electric pump. No problems yet, and I've had it for 2 years. Of course, now it will probably dump fuel everywhere next time I push the button.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:37 PM
flipstart

I have a Hangar 9 hand crank pump that has lasted for 5 years of hard pumping. May blow up tomorrow-but it works-as cheap as most of this stuff is made-may be luck of the draw. Most hangar 9 products do seem to be a cut above the Hobbico line-just my observation so far.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:41 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

My Pilot (OK Model Company) hand pump is still going OK after a few years. It did lock up once, i.e., couldn't move the handle, so I pulled it down, found nothing unusual, put it back together and it still works OK. I figure it does have a life though, so have just ordered an electric one from Tower so when this one quite, I have a new one ready to go.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:56 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between last year and this year i have put over fifteen gallons thru a hobbico hand fuel pump. So far it has out lasted a hanger 9- a dubro and a couple others that i can't remember. As far as an electric pump. use a sonic-tronic mark X it is an excellent pump. untold gallons thru it and i got it used on top of that. Sonic tronics sell replacement parts for it also. if needed. doubtful you'll need any.

As far as wasting fuel with a electric pump go to meijer the drugstore or something around the house an old fuel tank etc. install some fuel fittings on it and use it for a overflow. that way you will not be pumping fuel onto the ground from the vent line. I guarantee it saves me a gallon of fuel a year.

Dennis
The following users liked this post:
DLVS2FLY (08-22-2020)
Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 PM
badco

I HAVE A SIX SHOOTER PUMP THAT DOESN'T HAVE GEARS ,BUT INSTEAD HAS TWO KNOBS THAT SQUEESES AGAINST A LARGER PIECE OF HOSE AND FORCES THE FUEL OUT THE SMALLER HOSE. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS I CAN'T KEEP THE PLASTIC TIES FROM SLIPPING OFF THE HOSE. ANY SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN CHUCKING IT IN THE CAN?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have my Du-Bro hand crank pump that I bought in '84. It has never let me down, and will fill a tank faster than an electric with better control. It will clamp onto a metal gallon can, but turns easy enough to use in your hand. I would buy a second one, but I think they stopped making them in the 90's.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Ed Smith

I still have my Du-Bro hand crank pump that I bought in '84. It has never let me down, and will fill a tank faster than an electric with better control. It will clamp onto a metal gallon can, but turns easy enough to use in your hand. I would buy a second one, but I think they stopped making them in the 90's.
I purchased a Du-Bro kwik Fill hand crank pump at the Du-Bro stand at Toledo last year (2009)

Ed S
Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still use my electric pump, around 15 years old, gets used a lot, I bought it second hand too. I did have to open it and clean it out once, that was 8 or 9 years ago. I picked up the Magnum hand crank pumps four years ago and use them for gas and haven't had a problem with them at all. I bought them for five buck from a guy selling out all his RC stuff, NIB.
The following users liked this post:
DLVS2FLY (08-22-2020)