Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need Covering Advise

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need Covering Advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
chopper man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Covering Advise

It's time for me to buy the covering. For someone who hasn't cover a plane in 30 years what would you guys recommend, Ultracote by Hangar Nine or AeroKote by Sig. What do you think will be the easiest for me? Thanks for your help.
chopper man
Old 05-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Need Covering Advise

Lots of folks are real big on ultracote. I did a forum search on aerokote but read mostly negative things about it.

I like monokote although many folks dont.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't used Monokote much in the past couple of years. Monokote changed their product and now it hardly shrinks anymore, and gets brittle VERY early.

Go with the Ultracote. You will like it. It uses less heat than Monokote, shrinks well, doesn't require constant reshrinking (tightening) and does wingtips and other tight curves exceptionally well. If you want to use a fabric, get Solartex. Has many of the same features of UC. The only thing I suggest with Solartex is to clearcoat it afterwards. The paint used is fuel proof, however, the weave is more open and without a clear coat to seal the weave it can be a real bear to get clean.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 PM
mikegordon10

Be aware that Sig Aerocoat is way low temp. I didn't like it, but then I'm pretty much stuck on Ultracoat. I used a ton on Moneycoat in the past but not for the past 10 years or so. I recently did a repair for another modeler and had to use Moneycoat to match the colors. After that experience, they flat couldn't give that stuff to me. But now that I think about it that's how I got the Sig stuff.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:38 PM
rainedave

I highly reccomend Worldtex from Horizon Hobbies. About the same price as Monokote, but the similarities end there. Worldtex is an iron-on fabric that comes pre-painted and fuel proof.

Here's what I like about it:
It goes around curves and wing tips as easily as silk because the weave will stretch.
It can be ironed over itself without any bubbles because air escapes through the fabric. No need to use the Windex method as with plastic.
It looks like fabric, not like plastic.
It shrinks drum tight.
It will not sag or wrinkle over time like plastic films do, even in the hot sun.
It is much easier to apply than plastic film, much easier.
You'll never worry about wrinkles or bubbles again.
It doesn't sound like plastic film when you tap on open framework. It also doesn't amplify engine noise like plastic film.
Edges don't peel up.
It looks fantastic, almost as good as silk and dope, but not as glossy.
After using it, you'll wonder why you ever bothered messing with plastic film.
There are more, but those are the main ones.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
mark21

I'm about to try worldtex on my giant scale Corsair (rudder, elevators, ailerons, and outboard flaps). I've got experience applying both fabric (Supercoverite) and plastic (Monokote, Econocote, Ultracote) coverings. My question is this: Do I need to seal the worldtex covering BEFORE I paint it? I'm going to use latex paint on the aforementioned surfaces. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:45 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rainedave

I highly reccomend Worldtex from Horizon Hobbies. About the same price as Monokote, but the similarities end there. Worldtex is an iron-on fabric that comes pre-painted and fuel proof.

Here's what I like about it:
It goes around curves and wing tips as easily as silk because the weave will stretch.
It can be ironed over itself without any bubbles because air escapes through the fabric. No need to use the Windex method as with plastic.
It looks like fabric, not like plastic.
It shrinks drum tight.
It will not sag or wrinkle over time like plastic films do, even in the hot sun.
It is much easier to apply than plastic film, much easier.
You'll never worry about wrinkles or bubbles again.
It doesn't sound like plastic film when you tap on open framework. It also doesn't amplify engine noise like plastic film.
Edges don't peel up.
It looks fantastic, almost as good as silk and dope, but not as glossy.
After using it, you'll wonder why you ever bothered messing with plastic film.
There are more, but those are the main ones.
How is the weight compared to film covering?

somegeek
Old 03-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Campy

ORIGINAL: mark21

I'm about to try worldtex on my giant scale Corsair (rudder, elevators, ailerons, and outboard flaps). I've got experience applying both fabric (Supercoverite) and plastic (Monokote, Econocote, Ultracote) coverings. My question is this: Do I need to seal the worldtex covering BEFORE I paint it? I'm going to use latex paint on the aforementioned surfaces. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Worldtex (Solartex, any of the Tex) come prepainted with a fuel proof finish. Because their weave is more open it tends to trap dirt and grime easier making cleaning harder (and also allowing staining).

I HIGHLY recommend giving the Worldtex a clear coat AFTER you have applied it to the surfaces. If you clearcoat prior to applying it there is a VERY high probability of marring/damaging the clearcoat during installation and/or shrinking.

If you are concerned about the clear getting on adjoining surfaces, clearcoat prior to hinging.