Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to deal with the wife???

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to deal with the wife???

Old 06-01-2006, 09:52 PM
scooter052566

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to deal with the wife???

How do you guys deal with your wife??? Or girlfriends?? How do you get them to let you do the things you need to do??
Old 06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How to deal with the wife???

Um...

Keep doing it till she gives up? Nod, smile, continue, repeat.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: scooter052566

How do you guys deal with your wife??? Or girlfriends?? How do you get them to let you do the things you need to do??
Dealing with females is an art form and any two females will be different. However it is always easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Bill
Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Chainsaw and chipper? Just make sure you dispose of all the bone fragments.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: BillS

However it is always easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Well put. I've never thought about it that way before, but it's true.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 PM
mikegordon10

Well I've been modeling since 1971. Been thru 3 wives or should I say 2 cause B3 is still hanging around. BUT my modeling has never missed a beat. Ya just keep on keeping on. There's no shortage of woman in the world. I've got a 13 year old son and a 16 year old grand daughter. The wives just keep getting younger. It also helps if you can lick yer eyebrows.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:35 PM
tuwood

It's all about the art of making her think she's getting what "she" wants.

I recently finished a true masterpiece. I really wanted a 30% plane & knew that we'd have to pull a bit of money out of savings to do it. (never gonna happen).
I had to think of something that she's really been wanting & it hit me that she's been wanting to landscape our back yard for over a year. (aha, a plan was born)
So, I started dropping hints about landscaping the back yard, which is something she has wanted to do for a long time. I kept pointing out other yards & just kept dropping the hints.
After a few weeks, she started trying to talk me into letting her do it. (woohoo) Now I begin to talk about the expense of it & that there are things I'd like to get that are expensive too. (see how this is working)
Next she starts asking about how much my plane will cost & it amazingly costs about the same as the landscape work she wants to do... (pure irony I tell you)
Now, she's to the point that she's trying to talk me into getting my plane so she can landscape the yard and I reluctantly agree to let her do it. And I sigh as I order all my parts for my plane...

True story!!

(OK, serious advice now)
I've been married for 14 years tomorrow & I truly think there are two things that cause the most stress in a marriage. The first & biggest is money; If you're going in debt to support an R/C habbit there's gonna be trouble. The second is time; If you're living at the field 5 nights a week & on the weekend, it's gonna be trouble.
I personally had to give up golf to support the time aspect of my R/C addiction!!

Good luck & remember. She's always right!!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:28 PM
broke_n_bummin

You know ... there's still a law in effect in the state of South Caroline that states you can only beat your wife once a week .... It doesn't say anything about rollovers though...
Every 15 minutes, tell your wife you're in the mood ... it's just a matter of time before she tells you that you need a hobby.
Tell her to get a hobby of her own ... washing dishes, vacuuming, cooking, etc.
...But seriously, The way I see it, this one expected me to accept her children, and I do ... wholeheartedly, the least she can do is put up with me and my airplanes once or twice a week ... and she does
Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate, Talk her into learning to fly, that worked a treat for me. you see, if she does some damage to her plane, I have to go up the shed & fix it. because SHE won't miss out on flying, on the weekend, she loves it. see Pic.
Good Flyin Mate, & her too.
Allan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81886.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	470284  
Old 06-02-2006, 06:27 AM
fokker20planes

I always heard the quote different. "It's always easier to say your sorry than it is to ask for permission."
Old 06-02-2006, 07:23 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

First of all, while I was dating my wife, I told her:
"Airplanes will always be my first love. Big ones, little ones and all of them in between. If you can't deal with that, there is no point in continuing our relationship."
A year and a half later, we were married. Our 10th anniverssary is in October.

Believe it or not,
I guilt her into buying most of my planes for me!
See, my wife decided she needs a college education... I really don't understand why.
She has a great job that pays about $100K a year and she only works 40 hours a week.

I graduated college in 1996 with a bachelors in aviation management. I also have an Airframe and Powerplant license and an Inspection authorization. I work at least 50 hours a week and I still only make a little over $50K a year!

So, she is spending about $15K a year on her education. I pay most of the bills at our house. That leaves NO money for R/C!
Since she is spending enough on herself to buy a real plane and I can't afford to buy myself anything, she has to buy my toys for me.

After all, $50K a year is PLENTY to support me and buy lots of toys. But, I don't buy the toys. I make sure everything she wants is paid for.

When my birthday or Christmas roll around, I EXPECT a great gift! Like my BVM Mig 15 or my X-cell Fury!
After 8 years of marriage, I have one of the most expesive fleets I know of. And, I owe it all to my wife!!!!!!

Good Luck!
Doug
Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Allen,
You are one lucky man!
I tried to get my wife into aviation. I taught her to fly R/C models. She was bored with it after 2 lessons.
She tried full scale lessons. She dropped out after soloing.

Now, I have to seperate all of my aviation activites from her. Sad, but true..........

Doug
Old 06-02-2006, 07:45 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BillS

Dealing with females is an art form and any two females will be different. However it is always easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Bill

It's also cheaper. Stop and pick up some flowers every couple weeks. Maybe her favorite candy, or for my wife it's a milkshake from the local mom and pop icecream parlor. Never been mad when I come home with on of those, regardless of how late I am. Of course, my wife prefers me to be at the field, than at the bar, which was where I use to hang out.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

She'd rather me hang out at the field with a bunch of old guys than at a strip club with young girls.

For the money I just double my intent to spend when I budget, because she will spend just as much on new Halloween stuff.

Scooter, where do you fly in Jax?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I told my wife, "Before we met, I had one airplane and a lot of women. Now I have one woman and a lot of airplanes. Which way do you want it?"
Old 06-02-2006, 09:07 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

A biker was riding along a California beach when suddenly the sky clouded

>>above his head and, in a booming voice, the Lord said, "Because you have

>>tried to be faithful to me in all ways, I will grant you one wish."

>>

>>The biker pulled over and said, "Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can ride

>>over anytime I want."

>>

>>The Lord said, "Your request is materialistic, think of the enormous

>>challenges for that kind of undertaking. The supports required to reach

>>the bottom of the Pacific! The concrete and steel it would take! It will

>>nearly exhaust several natural resources. I can do it, but it is hard for

>>me to justify your desire for worldly things. Take a little more time and

>>think of something that would honor and glorify me."

>>

>>The biker thought about it for a long time. Finally he said, "Lord, I wish

>>that I could understand my wife. I want to know how she feels inside, what

>>she's thinking when she gives me the silent treatment, why she cries, what

>>she means when she says nothing's wrong, and how I can make a woman truly

>>happy."

>>

>>The Lord replied, "You want two lanes or four on that bridge?"
Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Maxxisme

Amazing that the first time I come here I run into a post on how to deal with wives and girlfriends of fliers. Even funnier since I happen to be one of those exact people. There are days when I would love to crash up everything he owns, but as a rule, I love him and all the "mistresses" in the shop. It's easier for me maybe, because I met him at the field and sort of fell in love with him there. Planes and the way he flies them are a huge part of what I love about him. He also makes it look like so much fun I can't wait until he builds one big enough to strap me into it and take me for one of those freaky flights.
Dealing with us is easy... You have to lie to us on a constant basis... you know.. Planes ARE NOT the most important thing to me, YOU are, baby. Thats what it all comes down to anyway. Your building at home, and flying and socializing at the field is valuable time that we could have you working on some other chore(like cleaning the shop, garage, kitchen.... anywhere else random planes/parts might be lying about)
Personally, I think that if any wife or girlfriend gives TOO much grief about your hobby, she's never gonna get over it and it might be better for you to get over her
Old 06-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

All I do is show my life love.
She knows I have a mistress and she is called a H9 330s.
She just accepts her and knows that she will get equal time and attention!

Old 06-02-2006, 04:07 PM
jpjamie

She tows me up to altitude where I release....
There's nothin like a female tug pilot!!
Old 06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Tequesta

First and for-most have a budget if you go into debt buying airplanes you will strain your relationship. Second, you also need to budget your time. I believe most of us have wifes that are not fliers so spending Friday out with the boys Sat and Sun at the field, a little golf, maybe some fishing now and then, and the rest of the week working in the shop you might get an ultimatum from her. Give and take and everyone will be happy. Keep in mind that you may take some time off of the hobby. Never never never sell all your stuff, a woman will see this as a change in your life and will give you grief when you start to buy new equipment again. !QUOT!I thought you had grown out of toy airplanes!QUOT!. This happened to a friend of mine who went through a few ugly months of marriage. She does not understand why someone would spend all that money only to crash. She is young and will eventually see that modeling is rewarding and fun and is better than a lot of other hobbies. Budget and compromise is the only way to have both airplane and women in your life.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:17 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean people have a problem in this area ???? Married 50 years and she very seldom says anything about my hobby, of course I pick up after myself and help her when needed and always ask if there is any reason I shouldn't go flying. ( then I go ). [:
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-02-2006, 04:52 PM
coolbean

Mine gets mad every single time I go. When the urge to go hits me and there isn't anything important that needs done, I just go. It's her problem, not mine.

Actually she even gets mad at me for building. Keep in mind I wait until my 2 year old is asleep to do any building. She likes to get her sleep so she is in bed by 10 most nights and if it is a weekend I may stay up to 2 or so working. For some reason she think I should just keep her company in bed while shes sleeping.. I think SHE needs a hobby.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:52 PM
oscar2005

it's a non issue if you pick the right person.been married 30 years and took the wife flying while we were dating, picnic lunch and some lawn chairs made for a nice flying session,when the kids came along they went to the field with us,their job was to fuel the plane for flight,and clean it after wards.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I'm a bit like MinnFlyer.

I told my wife, "Before we met, I had one airplane and a lot of women. Now I have one woman and a lot of airplanes. Which way do you want it?"
My wife started giving me trouble when we had only been dating about a year. I had only been flying about 6 months--so I started this hobby AFTER I met her.

I told her, in no uncertain terms:
"I've been wanting to do this since I was a little kid, and I'm finally at a point in my life where I can afford to do it. I'm always going to fly airplanes as a hobby. I don't drink, I don't drug, I don't chase women, I don't have a bass boat, I don't have golf clubs, I don't have a drag car, I don't have 6 huntin' rifles, or a football addiction. I buy you clothes, I buy you cars, I take you out to dinners, I take you on vacations to Vegas. If you can't handle my addiction to the airplanes, then don't let the door hit ya on the way out."

She's never hassled me about it again.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:29 PM
LANNYBOB

my wife ever tells me i cant go flying, i'll camp out at the field for a week and fly non stop for seven days. nobody will ever order me around like some punk. i wont have it. she never has and i love her for it. but dont get in the way of my planes. its serious

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.