Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

which is popular?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

which is popular?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 08:35 PM
JsJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is popular?

i have seen more cars than airplanes. Everytime when i go to a expo..i see cars more than boats and airplanes.
Is it the price or the quality?
steven
Old 06-23-2006, 09:13 PM
redfox435cat

Default RE: which is popular?

it's the comfort and convenience factor. People don't like to travel and learn how to do something. With planes you can't just buy a bunch of stuff and go out and use it. well you can but you won't have your stuff working for very long.

Parents don't want to spend money on something for their kid they are not familiar with. So they get em cars and they have at it. With boats you need a body of water and allot of places don't like RC boats around. with cars you can pretty much drive were ever you like.

Cost is a smoke screen IMHO. I've seen many individuals spend well over 10K on model cars and trucks. Granted it's much easier to do on planes. Planes are actually cheaper once you learn to fly them and stick to say the 40-60 sized models. with cars every-time you hit something wrong like a pea sized pebble in the street you gotta pay money for parts. After getting nickeled and dimed to death I finally gave em up and I could drive them pretty well. tire/bearings/turnbuckles and gears need constant replacing. I have a couple planes were I've never put more than a couple glow plugs and a couple props on and that's it. most of the time with planes minor damage results in using materials you most likely all ready have and fabricate structure out of nothing but wood some glue and a patch of covering.

As far as quality that's all over the map on both sides. they both have their crap and they both have they'er over priced high quality stuff.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:26 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How can you put it better than that?
Old 06-24-2006, 05:31 PM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

I agree with the previous posting. I've been flying for quite some time now, and thought I'd break down and get my boys a Traxxas T-Max. Yeah, it was a nice little penny in the beginning, but I thought in the long run it would be cheap fun for the kids they could do just about anytime and anywhere. Whoahhhhh, was I wrong. This thing has turned into a money pit and costs more to maintain than does my '77 Ford F150. I'm about to give up on it. At least with a plane, I know about the only thing I'm gonna spend is fuel, plugs, an occasional prop. Any more than that is on me. With the nitro car, it's not up to me.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:01 AM
broke_n_bummin

You also have to stop and concider something else. You buy a car ... smack it into a wall a couple times, then decide you don't want it anymore, your damage is mostly cosmetic, and it's pretty easy to get most of your money back out of it. You smack a plane into a wall a couple times ... well ... about once is all it's going to take, and decide you don't want it anymore, you're left with a pile of balsa hung together by monokote, servos hanging out, and an engine with a broke prop and cracked spinner that might still run. You'd have trouble giving it away say nothing about getting any money back.
Driving model cars is a hobby.
Flying is for life.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anybody can drive a car, but it takes a brain to fly an airplane.