Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

35mm FILM CANISTER GAS TANK QUESTION

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

35mm FILM CANISTER GAS TANK QUESTION

Old 06-23-2006, 11:30 PM
kilmerelrc
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35mm FILM CANISTER GAS TANK QUESTION

I would like to put about a 1oz tank on a MotoGlider I am building. I have heard of people making a tank out of an old 35mm film canister. Anyone have any luck doing this and how is it done. I would like to do it right the first time so that I do not have a problem in the future. I would hate to spend 3 bucks from Tower and 7 bucks in shipping for a tank. My local hobby shop only caries a 2oz tank. I am running an AP .061 Wasp engine and I have heard they have a hard time pressurizing a 2oz tank so that is why I want to go with a 1oz tank or so. Any help would be great. Thanks, Chris
Old 06-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Dsegal

Default RE: 35mm FILM CANISTER GAS TANK QUESTION

> and 7 bucks in shipping for a tank <

Just for the record, for a small item like your tank Tower will only charge $3.99 for shipping.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:46 AM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

only 3.99? You mean I've been getting taken to the cleaners all this time?
Old 06-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Dsegal

If the item is marked "Parts Express eligible" you get a break on the shipping cost. Hobby Lobby does a similar thing with a reduced charge for all the parts that will fit into a 4 inch cube box.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Dsegal

For a good article on making tiny tanks from little household bottles and such see Larry Renger's piece in the April 2002 issue of Flying Models magazine. He uses a Fuji film canister and just drills holes that are undersized so that the fuel line is forced in and seals the hole. One hole in the cap for feed and another in the side of the can for the vent. Very simple. If needed, he recommends GOOP cement which is fuelproof.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:05 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the 2 oz tank and VERY carefully with a (covering ) heat gun >> Reform the tank to the size you want . Be vary carefull with the heat and I suggest wearing a pair of gloves to help with the reforming. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-26-2006, 01:22 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at this link: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1847112/anchors_4163893/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4163893]Fuji tank thread[/link]