Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Antenna issue & Rigging cable touches metal clevis

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Antenna issue & Rigging cable touches metal clevis

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:45 AM
timfarrar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna issue & Rigging cable touches metal clevis

Hey guys :

Ive been building this plane for quite a while, and I just done my riging cables on the tail, The bottem rigging cables just slightly touch the elevator clevises. Does anyone think this will cause a problem with the radio?

Also I put a nylon tube, inside down the lenght of the fuselage for my antenna. The antenna isnt long enough to stick out the end, So I cant put a rubber band on it to pull it tight. Will this be OK ? Or does it need to have the rubber band pulling it tight?

THANKS , TIM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67237.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	486162  
Old 07-03-2006, 04:15 AM
Newc

Default RE: Antenna issue & Rigging cable touches metal clevis

I'll let others comment about the rigging wires against the clevis, but can tell you that my experience with putting the antenna into a plastic tube inside the fuselage had been good without the antenna being pulled tight. I just made sure that the antenna was pushed full length in the tube and then put a small piece of tape on the antenna and tube (where the antenna entered the tube) to keep the antenna from working its way forward (due to engine vibration) and then getting bunched up.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:42 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Tim

Metal-to-metal is never a good thing, but should not be a problem. What might be more of a problem is that the vibration in flight could cause the rigging wire to scuff thru from touching the clevis. If the structure is dependant on these wires.......[:@]

The antenna will be fine as long as it can't back out in flight. Most of my large planes are set up in this way.

Safe Flying!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:19 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Metal to metal can be a problem. Not always. But you can lose the model when it does occur. I eliminate any metal to metal that I know about. At our field we also will not fly a questionable model unless the ground range check is in the order of twice what the radio manufacturer says is OK. Just went through this on a new Balsa USA MS A-1. Probably the result of rudder and elevator pull-pull cables getting wrapped around each other during final setup. Make sure you do the range check with the engine running.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:06 PM
timfarrar

Thanks guys:

I think I know what Im going to do now, Im comfortable with the antenna, but I think Im going to put something like one of those small throttle linkage tubes over the cable where the clevis is.

R8893:

You bring up another concern I hadnt really thought about, Where the elevator cables cross, they will touch in flight also,( Im sure), Is this the problem you were refering to ?
Do you guys have any ideals here ? because this will show, There isnt anything to cover it like the elevator does on the other problem.

Name:	Zx71164.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	486300   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45742.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	486301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42368.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	486302  
Old 07-04-2006, 08:40 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: timfarrar

<snip>

You bring up another concern I hadnt really thought about, Where the elevator cables cross, they will touch in flight also,( Im sure), Is this the problem you were refering to ?
Do you guys have any ideals here ? because this will show, There isnt anything to cover it like the elevator does on the other problem.

I use plastic coated cables only. These can touch and are very wear resistant. I get my cables from Walmart in the angling section.

Safe Flying!
Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Tim,
Regarding the crossed rudder/elevator cables. My model came out extremely nose heavy and I then decided to move the servos as far back as I could. I must have lost control of the cables during the move and they got twisted around each other. In their normal runs they do not touch. You have built a beautiful model; don't take any chances with it. Have patience and get it right before you fly. The coated wire is probably a good idea.
It doesn't take much to cause a problem. I had a Dynaflight PT-19 with OS 1.08. Intermittant problem finally traced to a throttle pushrod that occasionally vibrated against the engine crankcase. Covering with plastic tube per your idea solved it.
Chuck
Old 07-04-2006, 09:50 AM
timfarrar

Thanks guys:

Thanks for informing me on all this, I hadnt thought of Walmart, but I have seen wire at Hobby Lobby.

Oh! yes, Ive had that same thing happen, the throttle linkage causeing interference, thats one of the reasons I ask you guys these questions.

I finally used black servo wire, I split it and took the wire out and slip the black insulation over the cables where they would touch, I glued them too. If you notice in this real picture, they have something over the wire at that point also, so its still scale. Not back where the clevises are but thats ok, its not that noticeable.

Oh!, and I thought I would let you know, I looked at my description sheet for the kit, and this wire is plastic coated also, so maybe Im double protected now.

I thought I would mension that if your eyes are any worse than mine you might not see the insulation on the cables in the real picture!! LOL

THANKS AGAIN, TIM

Name:	Lj22379.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	486782