Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

heli fuel for saitos

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

heli fuel for saitos

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:38 PM
luv2fly62
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heli fuel for saitos

I have been reading on other posts about using 30% heli fuel in the saito engines, I have a friend that flys helis so I asked if he had some I could try, gave me a full gal. of wildcat 30% to try and said if it works he has more at a very good $$ ( he switched brands and has over a case left) the question is, can I run this in 40 to 60 size 2 strokes with no problems other than the normal carb adjustments or can it harm the engine? I know they dont need that much nitro but at the price it's hard to turn down!
thanks, mike t
Old 07-12-2006, 07:47 PM
3DAP

Default RE: heli fuel for saitos

I ran cool pwr 30% for a year in my Saito 100 and it started to make some funny noises. It turned out that it's bearings were shot.
Saito charged me 60 bucks to replace bearings. I ran it as rich as possible also. If you like the xtra pwr and smoke and dont mind spending an extra 60 bucks, go for it.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:04 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

30% heli will be fine in your saito... many folk's will run nothing less. I tried it myself and just didn't notice enough of a performance boost to justify the extra cost and the need to have several different types of nitro fuel on hand... this leads to your second question. Your probably gona have a hard time getting your 40 to 60 2 strokes to run well on 30% nitro... most sport class engines are not compressed to handle the extra nitro and run bad if at all.

If the price is right and you want to get the most possible power out of your saito with some cost of engine longevity and don't mind having 2 different %nitro fuels on hand then go for it.

John
Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 PM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

I have a saito 91 in a cub and I don't run anything but 30% through it. I've tried running my 15% I use in my 2 strokes and it just doesn't run the same. I can club the cub around at 1/4 throttle all day with 30% but 15% just doesn't seem to give it enough power.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

It turned out that it's bearings were shot.
3DAP,
Did you put after-run oil into the crankcase vent?
Phillip

Old 07-14-2006, 05:38 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Hoffa

3DAP,
Did you put after-run oil into the crankcase vent?
this seems like a loaded question...

read FAQ #4 - what's a person to do??
[link=http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_faq.htm#4]after run oil[/link]
Old 07-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

what's a person to do??
Use after-run oil. There is no possibility of it mixing with the fuel if you run the fuel out after your last flight of the day. A friend just totaled his 2 month old OS 46 due to rusted bearings. He also stored it inside his house to keep it out of the humidity.

I look at it this way, after-run oil may not help, but I guarantee you that it won't hurt anything either. I'm just trying to offer a helpful suggestion. Horizon Hobby recommends 30% and I've noticed that it provides a superior idle comparted to 20%.

Phillip