Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Receiver antenna question?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Receiver antenna question?

Old 07-17-2006, 02:23 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Receiver antenna question?

I have a Kadet Senior that I turned into a tail-dragger and bought an antenna tube from the LHS. I want to know if the tube goes almost all the way to the rear of the plane and the antenna comes out the other end of the tube if I can fly like that or if it still has to come out of the fueselage at some point. The tube is inside the fueselage from the reciever to about 6 inches from the open end of the fueselage by the elevator. It really is a much cleaner look!
Thanks,
Gibbs
Old 07-17-2006, 02:40 PM
rctrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Receiver antenna question?

It makes no difference. the ant can be completly buried within the fus. as long as the fus is made of non-metallic materals.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:49 PM
bbbair

No; the antenna does not have to exit the airplane in order to work.

What you need to do is ensure is that the antenna is fully extended (no major bends or kinks). We have seen people that wanted that "Clean Look" and they actually COILED up the antenna in order to make it fit inside of the AC.

This has the effect of shortening your antenna and 'REDUCING' your range. - you could loose your AC if you let it get too far away. []

The average antenna is 39" long, if you can keep that much antenna inside of your AC (in a strait line) - it will probably work just fine.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:24 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: bbbair

What you need to do is ensure is that the antenna is fully extended (no major bends or kinks). We have seen people that wanted that "Clean Look" and they actually COILED up the antenna in order to make it fit inside of the AC.

This has the effect of shortening your antenna and 'REDUCING' your range. - you could loose your AC if you let it get too far away. []

The average antenna is 39" long, if you can keep that much antenna inside of your AC (in a strait line) - it will probably work just fine.
Au contraire, the antenna MAY be coiled up inside the fuse and still provide more than adequate range for our purposes. You just have to make sure that it is coiled CORRECTLY.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:22 PM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

Well, how do we do that?? Give us a quick lesson if you don't mind. Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 09:52 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As js3 stated the practice can be effective if done properly and has been standard practice for some years in RC pylon where the the drag penilty and the danger of a following aircraft of cutting off your antenna if left hanging for about fourteen inchs if done the old way.

Attend any 422 or 428 pylon event say at the nationals or any event and you will have trouble spotting any anternnas. These aircraft can and do approach speeds over 170.

I also have used the technique on many warbird racers these typically are slower but much bigger airplanes and indeed it works quite well.

For normal sport airplanes I usually don't bother but for the racers yes indeed.

Here is a little tutorial on how its done:

http://www.darrolcady.com/Racing_Inf...ch/Antenna.htm

And a few pics ot the installation in progress on a warbird racer.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54093.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	493890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83138.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	493891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24505.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	493892  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:09 PM
js3

JohnBuckner has perfectly displayed how to do this. I wish I'd thought of including the link to Darrol's site in my post above.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:19 AM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks, men...I'll have to keep this in mind next time I want a more scale looking appearance.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:56 AM
bbbair

ORIGINAL: js3

Au contraire, the antenna MAY be coiled up inside the fuse and still provide more than adequate range for our purposes. You just have to make sure that it is coiled CORRECTLY.
It would seem that we are both agreeing on the subject, the plane will work with a coiled antenna - you will just have a "REDUCED RANGE"

JS3's comment was "more than adequate range for our purposes",
I said "This has the effect of shortening your antenna and 'REDUCING' your range. - you could loose your AC if you let it get too far away.

The key here is to keep your plane in close to the field, so that you do not exceed your reduced range. Easy for an experienced flier that has a tight grip on the flight envelope (racers and Scale types) but for a novice - the AC can move out of range in a hurry - which is what I was trying to say...
Old 07-20-2006, 01:26 PM
js3

It would seem that we are both agreeing on the subject, the plane will work with a coiled antenna - you will just have a "REDUCED RANGE"

JS3's comment was "more than adequate range for our purposes",
I said "This has the effect of shortening your antenna and 'REDUCING' your range. - you could loose your AC if you let it get too far away.

The key here is to keep your plane in close to the field, so that you do not exceed your reduced range. Easy for an experienced flier that has a tight grip on the flight envelope (racers and Scale types) but for a novice - the AC can move out of range in a hurry - which is what I was trying to say...
bbbair,

Yes, yes, I agree and acknowledge that doing anything with the RX antenna other than having it run a straight path will reduce the effective range. My point is that it will still provide and retain control for a smallish (.40 to .60 sized) plane well beyond the normal person's ability to see what the model is doing.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:01 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the feedback!

Gibbs