Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Butyrates

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:40 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Butyrates

I have acquired several gallon cans of Randolph and Superflite butyrate dopes. All these cans are 15+ years old but never opened.

Naturally, I had to pop open a #125 clear from Superflite and was suprised to see the thick consistancy of the product. Supercoat and Aerogloss butyrates are much thinner. Is this due to their model use nature or has time caused the Randolph and Superflite stuff to "age"?

I also got 3-1 gallon cans of thinner, DAC and something called Super Cement. All are intended for ceconite covering of full scale aircraft.

I know that these products have successfully been used on models but the age of these treasures has me a bit concerned. I've fired off emails to Superflite and to Aircraft Spruce, (Randolph). However, anyone around the RC Universe crowd have any experience with these products???

Thanks, everyone!
Don

ps, I also picked up 3-qt cans of Testors/McCoy fuel. These cans are all 20+ yrs old. Any issues with running in modern 2-strokers??
Old 07-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Butyrates

The materials will work fine. You are just not used to seeing the commercial dope in its un thinned state.

Most clear can be cut at least 50% or more for model applications. In spray applications a ratio of 70% thinner to 30% dope is not uncommon.

What you will need is more thinner to use the quanity of dope that you listed. I would use Randolph thinner and anti blush thinner if you are working in humid conditions.

I used to buy it from my local airport one gallon at a time using my very own glass jug. Over a 6 or 7 month period I would ride my bicycle back to the airport 4 or 5 times to by another gallon of butyrate thinner which I also carried home in a glass jug.