Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Swampy Ugly Stick

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Swampy Ugly Stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
aerospot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swampy Ugly Stick

Last Week flying an ugly stick, it was 'shot down' and crashed into a swamp. It appeared to be radio interference though I cant figure out from where...
It took me an hour or so to locate it and I had to wade out up to my knees to retrieve it...
Following the throttle linkage I found the engine / fuel tank and it came out with a wonderful sucking sound.
I promptly took everything home and after showering off the swamp smell from myself, began to take things apart and inspect them.
Nothing is visibly broken but, the radio and servos were submerged as well as the engine. Do I need to take the servos & receiver apart to dry them out?
I've already broken the engine down, rinsed it off with water, blew it dry with compressed air and it is now soaking in a Tupperware full of transmission fluid...
I've never had the occasion to submerge the radio gear in the past and would like to hear what ramifications, if any are resulting from it.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:47 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Swampy Ugly Stick

aerospot,
Sorry to hear about your incident. If the receiver and servos were submerged I wouldn't trust any of them until they were checked out by a repair shop. Send them in for service with a note about what happened so that they can inspect them for water damage. IMHO it's cheap insurance to know their good before putting them in another plane.

Hope this helps

Ken