Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why soooo many planes???

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why soooo many planes???

Old 01-05-2003, 04:31 AM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why soooo many planes???

My girlfriend thinks I have to much RC 'stuff'. I've got two heli's, two planes and another one on the way. She keeps nagging me..."You can only fly one at a time, why do you need another one". I try to explain, but it doesn't help. How do you guys get away with having a hanger FULL of planes and I only have 2 ???

Please HEEELLLLPP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Old 01-05-2003, 04:37 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha.....my first wife was like that....so I traded up.
(seriously....I did!)
Old 01-05-2003, 04:40 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

While she's still your 'girlfriend', and you don't have children or material goods at stake...

1) Show her your next paycheck.
2) Tell her when it has her name printed on it, then she can spend it how she likes.
3) Begin search for new girlfriend. (And get something for that black eye, too.)

Just kidding, of course, but be careful... you may have to "choose" someday.
It's my experience that if things like this are a bone of contention at the "dating" stage,
the incidents only increase in frequency and strength, once well into the "marriage" stage.

You can always try reasoning with her first... she may "come around", and
she may in fact just be picking on you about it. Tell her that having a variety of
planes is far better than having a variety of women, and that they keep you out of trouble
Old 01-05-2003, 04:45 AM
StickMixer

You could teach her to fly. Then she'll want a bunch of planes too!
Old 01-05-2003, 05:09 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Ask her what she does with her paycheck.........when she shows you the closet full of clothes and shoes, tell her, "you can only wear one thing at a time"

Mike
Old 01-05-2003, 05:12 AM
Kevlar

Default COLD winter nights

Need I say more.....VRROOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2003, 05:38 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Ask her about her shoes. She can only wear one pair at a time. I would be careful as suggested above. Sounds like a little too much questioning at the stage you're at, but better now than later. Unless you are spending her money on it!

Sorry glowplug about the shoes. Just read your post.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:02 AM
TTARK

Default Easy Question to Answer

Keep the shop so messy she REFUSES to go near it. Then she has no idea how many planes ya really have. By the way Ya gotta sneak them in through the basement
Old 01-05-2003, 06:26 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello, Aramid (That's generic Kevlar)

I can't remember when I only had five flying machines. I had 40 or so when I left Maryland to move to Florida, left a bunch behind. I'm back up to 18 or 20 now, a mix of wet and electric, rotary and fixed wing. Not going to stop for an accurate count.

Wnat to buy some of mine? There are several I seldom fly, and I too have more on the way.

Too many planes, get in the way,
. but I want more, so what the hay.

Bill.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:08 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I'll have about 6 to fly this coming year but have over 30 still in the box and I'm a piker, or so I've been told. The Wife has absolutely no problem with this and in fact just did a trade tonight for another kit.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:15 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I told my dad, I have a sport plane, a funfly plane, a trainer, now alls i need to do to complete the package is a giant scale.. it worked sorta
Old 01-05-2003, 11:43 AM
grazzhopper

Airplanes are like women, they all fly a little different. But I wouldn't try explaining that to them...
Old 01-05-2003, 01:45 PM
TerrellFlyer

On those cold winter nites get an electric blanket,doesn't cost much,can change the temp with no flak,when tired of it ,shove it the closet.After 45 years of marrage,I have been single 5 years,found out wife for a week end is the way to go,now have over 20 planes in the hangar,30'fifth wheel and diesel truck to haul me and my planes to fun flies. Also found the planes are lot cheaper,and lots more fun.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:29 PM
flyingfever

If you do decide to go forward with your relationship, (with the girl I mean) be sure you have a good LHS close by. My wife is pretty understanding about my affliction, but when she sees the credit card bills from mail-order hobby stores she hits the roof. Paying cash at my LHS is the only way to throw her off the scent.

Fever
Old 01-05-2003, 03:37 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

TerrellFlyer:

John, you have it right. Finally. Since it took me only 35 years of mairrage, as opposed to your 45, does that mean I'm smarter?

Haw.

Being a confirmed misogynist, I believe an electric blanket or a cold heartless airplane gives me every bit as much true affection as any woman. But women are generally better at pretending.

But we need to look at it the other way too. I always thought a grand a month at Tower Hobbies, plus the bills from Hobby Shack, Horizon, and Chief Aircraft were all completely justified. Not to mention the EMS bills and Central Hobbies' charge for new YS engines. All necessary expenses. But $500 at the dress shop? Ridiculous.

And a hundred a week for food? For only five of us?

If you had not guessed by now, my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek.

Airplanes are necessary.
. Women? Temporary.

Bill.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

After reading all these posts, man I'm one lucky guy.

First, if the girlfriend disagrees now, what will it be like later?

If you are not taking your last dollar for the hobby, and she doesn't get put on the back burner, theoretically, there should be no problems.

My wife supports my hobby big time, but she doesn't like coming to the field unless she knows a lot of people.

We have each our own money from our own income and this has worked perfectly.

Get her involved in some of the buying decision and she might understand better, but that's a long shot.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Goggles

My new wife is the greatest.
She always comes with me to the field, even makes a picnic lunch out of it, she inspired me to do R&D on the B1B and her favorite plane (besides the B1B) is a Corsair....so I'm building one of those also. She's always the first one to help at club field events and mall shows, if I need help building she right there and she doesn't have a problem with the money I spend. As long as the bills are paid, I earned it so I can spend it.

Trading up was a good idea.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:51 PM
monocoupe
My Feedback: (40)

Default Spouses and the hobby

Kevlar my friend...be very careful here! I had a girlfriend that questioned this hobby in the same way, and it got worse after we got married. While that wasn't the only thing that caused problems, it was indeed a big part of the marrage failing. It's who we are, it's how we find satisfaction and pleasure, and how we express ourselves. So, short of ridiculous or unreasonable spending of communal money, no person has the right to dictate how I spend my hobby money. For me, I just got tired of always having to justify everything I did, and every dollar I spent, not to mention enduring the never ending list of "things to do" to keep me out of the workshop, or away from the field. She just didn't get it...and she never will. I went out to get some beer one day, and I never never went back. That was the best thing I ever did!
I did re-marry but I was a little smarter this time! We both have our own hobbies, and fully support each others interests, and we're great friends as well. I consider myself pretty lucky these days.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:59 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take her to the Golf Shop, and show here what you could be spending money on, then to topless bar, then the liquor store, then the Harley shop.............................................. .....
Old 01-06-2003, 02:01 AM
RCaeroguy

There's a member in our club who's wife/girlfriend (not sure if he's married) thinks RC is stupid. She does, however, almost demand that he spend as much time as possible with her and her horses.
Do I need to say any more?????
Old 01-06-2003, 02:10 AM
Smokin Cap
My Feedback: (49)

Just tell her that planes are like girlfreinds....having only one get's routine,boring,humdrum and sameold, sameold after the first summer. After she knocks your block off...buy another plane!
Old 01-06-2003, 02:31 AM
Peashoot

And it's much easier to find a new girlfriend than it is to decide which plane to buy next.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:44 AM
rcspud
My Feedback: (2)

Well I geuss Im the lucky one here,I just recently picked up the hobbie and my wife doesnt complain.
We made a pact when we got married ( 8 years ago ) to disscuss any thing we purchase over a set amount of $ ( ours is $100 ).
That is to say I can buy anything I want as long as its under $100 at a time and she can do the same.She buys nascar junk and I go to the hobby shop.Man can you get a lot at the LHS for under $100 and anything over I need I put on layaway so she only sees the smaller bills.

Maybey you could try some sort of pact.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:54 AM
Kevlar

Default Why NOT!?!?

Well if you must know, I do Golf, Fish, and Play online games with my buddies at work. I showed this post to my girlfriend, during the first few responses she wasn’t to bad until you guy’s talked about planes being cheaper than girlfriends and wives (LOL ;-) ).

Then she got all bent, unfortunately not that way, and commented, “well if you guys think that women can be so bad whey don’t you go out with them!?!?”

OK, I’m a 35 year old SWM seeking friendship. I like to fly RC planes and heli’s, Golf, Fish, and Mt. Bike. I’m a professional……just kidding!!!
:stupid:
Old 01-06-2003, 03:12 AM
FalconWings10

Tell her that you COULD Be at a local bar instead of home working on an airplane!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.