Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Two questions.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Pilots12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions.

1. What is the best prop to spin on a .61?

2. Whats worse, Tail-heavy or nose-heavy?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 10:27 PM
onepern

Default RE: Two questions.

1. depends on the plane and what you want to do with it.
2. Tail heavy. Its the old leaver thing
give me a loge enough leaver and ill move the world
because the balance point is at the wing you have to add more weight to the nose to balance a tail heavy plane than to the tail for a nose heavy one.
Danny
Old 08-21-2006, 11:38 PM
campbec

Hi pilots12,

q1. Generally a 12x6 is a good starting point for a 60 in most models.

q2. Nose heavy planes fly so do tail heavy planes but no for too long, err on the side of nose heavy and adjust from there.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 08-22-2006, 12:41 AM
David Cutler

I use a 13x6 or 12x8 on my OS 61.

As for tail or nose heavy, it depends what you want.

Tail heavy - more unstable. more responsive (3d planes are tail heavy). tends to float in to land. flies inverted with less down elevator.

Nose heavy - more stable. less responsive. easier to fly smoothly. tends to 'come in hot' on landing (lands faster) more difficult to take off. more difficult to hover. has more tendency to snap (in a loop, for example) as greater elevator movement is needed to pitch the plane.

If in doubt for a new model, fly nose heavy as it's more controllable, and less 'twitchy'.

-David C.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Pilots12

Thanks guys! So the plane I'm flying right now is a Durastick. Would it be a good way to advance my flying skills if I slowly start making her tail heavy? Rigtht now its a taildragger and is right on the CG.

And my friend just got a trainer that was WAY to nose heavy. We added 4oz to the tail but its still a bit nose heavy. Would it be good to start on a nose heavy trainer to learn for your first time? I remeber my trainer was perfect on the CG. This trainer is a Hobbistar MKII .60
Old 08-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pilots12

Thanks guys! So the plane I'm flying right now is a Durastick. Would it be a good way to advance my flying skills if I slowly start making her tail heavy? Rigtht now its a taildragger and is right on the CG.

And my friend just got a trainer that was WAY to nose heavy. We added 4oz to the tail but its still a bit nose heavy. Would it be good to start on a nose heavy trainer to learn for your first time? I remeber my trainer was perfect on the CG. This trainer is a Hobbistar MKII .60
I think it would simply make things more difficult, if you went for tail heavy on your Durastick. If you can practice everything the way it is, do so. There is no need to make that plane tail heavy. When you want to do 3D, get a 3D plane, but if you're going to fly in circles and do loops and rolls and inverted flight, there is no benefit or additional learning that comes with a tail heavy CG.

Likewise with the trainer, there is no benefit to running nose heavy. The learning curve will not be improved by choosing a CG other than the proper one.

When you're flying a Cap or Extra or Edge, the debate about where "proper" cg's are located will commence.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 08-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Arrow IV

Pilots12,

If you want to experiment in a controlled environment try this. A guy that taught me a lot (of course he had brass balls!!) told me to balance your plane by the book first. Take a whole stick of lead to the field, cut every piece, start flying, and every few minutes or so land and stick a piece on and see what you get. The problem with RC is that every plane is different. A great plane might fly like crap if its set up wrong!!! You will only find what your lookin for if you experiment. Different props, engines, balance points, control throws, amounts of expo... The big thing is you have got to set up YOUR planes for YOU!!! So set up for what you want, what's touchy for you may be dead for me or vice versa. Go get em dog!![:@] Rubber side down Boys!!

PS Scar, love that wife quote!!! (right after you get that done you can head to Big Als)
Old 08-23-2006, 12:12 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

11X6 or 12X6 is about all it will pull. I have used a 13X4 for acrobatics with good results.