Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ABS Cowl Repair

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ABS Cowl Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 09:30 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Cowl Repair

What is the best way to repair cracks in ABS Cowls? I know, get a fiberglass one, LOL. Glass Tape, CA,Epoxy?
What has everyone had the best luck with?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-10-2003, 10:17 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default ABS Cowl Repair

A lot of my friends use the glue that you glue PVC (can't remember the name ) and even I have used it and it works good. Use 3/4 Oz cloth, sand the area to be fixed and then lay the cloth on and apply the cement but do it very sparingly as to much will melt the ABS and deform it. This method is also good for putting ABS parts together, now if I weren't having a senior moment and could remember the name of it!!!!
Old 01-11-2003, 03:24 AM
Den B

Default ABS Cowl Repair

Ummm err Art I beleive it's called "PVC Glue" for plumbing pipe, It does come in slow and fast "SET" types.
The local Hardware will have Primer and the two types of PVC glue , you don't need the primer for our stuff.

Den
Old 01-11-2003, 03:57 AM
GrnBrt

Default ABS Cowl Repair

SIGH!!! I thought it had a different name, like MEK or something???? Hate getting old!!!!!
Old 01-11-2003, 04:45 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer

Default PVC Cement

Does the PVC Cement work a lot better than CA for a good strong bond? Sounds like a great way to glue ABS, Great Tip! Thanks!
Old 01-11-2003, 06:10 AM
Den B

Default ABS Cowl Repair

Is it good YES but as Art said go easy with the stuff it is VERY high solvent and will melt the part if you use too much ICK!
Acetone will do the same thing you have becarefull the same way but it does evaporate faster.
Another tirck is to use Drywall tape "Fiberglass" with sticky backing on it . it is a low tack stickum that will hold it in place till the glue gets there.

Oh and Art is is also called PVC cement HEE HEE !!

Den
Old 01-11-2003, 06:30 AM
GrnBrt

Default ABS Cowl Repair

Oh and Art is is also called PVC cement HEE HEE !!

OK OK rub it in!!!! Now respect your elders!!!! :bananahea
Old 01-13-2003, 05:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ABS Cowl Repair

A quick fix that I use is to take a piece of fabric softener cloth (you know, those things that you throw in the dryer). Take a USED one, cut it to size, and CA it to the inside of the cowl. If you wonder how strong they are, try to tear one.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:43 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer

Default fabric softener cloth

MinnFlyer,

Great Idea! I'll have to give that a try, Can you use that for anything else, like wood construction, etc? I am going to try the PVC Cement on my GP T-Craft for assembling the ABS Cowl, I think then adding the fabric cloth around the edges on the inside would help with future cracks, like I"m getting now on my GP Decatlon, I'm sure the temps have not helped this past few weeks, I've been flying in some pretty cold weather! I'm addicted to flying, what can I say!
Old 01-14-2003, 03:21 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Default ABS Cowl Repair

I've used the dryer sheets to strengthen a small foam wing. I applied it with thinned epoxy and it worked great.
I've also lined the inside of a cowl with the PVC glue and fg cloth. As for good bond, you can't get a better one because it melts the plastic and actually fuses the cloth to it. For this purpose, you can use the heavy fiberglass cloth found in the body repair section at your local Wal Mart.
If you're going to use Ca and dryer cloths to line an entire cowl, take some advice... use some type of mask and do it outside. The fumes will knock you for a loop!
Old 01-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Crashem

Default ABS Cowl Repair

I use the PVC cement and Bondo it works great and the Bondo putty makes the seam disappear