Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Solartex fuel proof!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Solartex fuel proof!

Old 09-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Solartex fuel proof!

I am just finishing installing my radio in a used H9 Super Cub, and I am concerned about the covering (solartex). It is unsealed, and I understand that Solartex stains from glow fuel, but what I am wondering, does the fuel wick through into the wood. This winter I plan on recovering it with Ultracote. I would seal it now on the bottom, but it has been flown for 5 years, and you will never get it clean enough (oil) to adhere anything now.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:06 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Solartex fuel proof!

Give it a light coat of sealer. It DOES stain real bad. Had a Cub with Solartex covering, looked terrible after only a short while. You can use Minwax polyeurathane to seal it. Works like a charm.

Safe Flying!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:53 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I clean my Solartex planes with warm soap and water and they always come clean. Of course I do it at the field in between flights and then again when I get home. Mine looks like new. If it stains it is fabric so you can use stain remover on bad spots. Check out the stain remover on a scrap piece first to see if it removes or changes the color. If you don't have any scraps just try a small spot on the bottom of the fuse. Try it, it works for me! I would never put film covering on a Cub.

Gibbs
Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't had any problem with fuel staining Solartex. it is fuelproof as it comes off the roll, but does get dirty. I clearcoated mine with Top Flite LustreKote, and it cleans easily. LustreKote is also fuelPROOF, whereas oil base poly is fuel RESISTANT, and tends to yellow the finish.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Dzlstunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also clear coat it with Nelson cross-linked water-based finishing system. I did a Phaeton II bipe with this stuff and was very pleased with the results. Good luck, Dzl